Rec Sports Operations & Services Supervisor (4137U) 16667
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 4/6/2021
Enhancing the health and wellness of our Cal community is a big job. Rec Sports is dedicated to providing an ongoing variety of educational, fitness, and wellness opportunities to support a healthy lifestyle. We offer classes and facilities to support our students, faculty, and staff in both their personal growth and physical fitness goals.
I. Plans, organizes and implements recreational programs.
- Administers a defined operational program. Researches and resolves issues and discrepancies. Ensures consistent delivery of quality customer service to various constituencies. Participates in the development and revision of standard operating procedures and guidelines. Assesses and recommends changes to maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and internal policies.
II. Supervises employee performance, career development and adherence to job standards.
- Supervise the work of employees and interns in the unit. Responsible for quality and quantity of work in accordance with internal and campus policies and procedures. Identifies, distributes, sets up, and monitors the progress of work. Manages employee performance, career development and adherence to job standards
III. Selects, trains and supervises staff.
- Hires new employees, transfers, promotions, salary actions, terminations, performance management and budget recommendations.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the unit.
- Develops employee work schedules and work assignments. Supervise employee work crews at events and other job assignments. Conduct orientations and trainings for employees. Ensure safe working conditions and implement health and safety policies, and as appropriate, personnel policies in the daily work setting. Identify and suggest corrective action as necessary.
- Supervises Event Manager position and Graduate Intern Positions which includes responsibility for management, operations, and maintenance of access/equipment control software, building security, optimal operation of building systems, and associated training of staff on equipment, inventory of equipment, and customer service protocols.
IV. In the absence of supervisor, assumes temporary responsibility for day to day operations of Customer Service Center and Scheduling Office.
- Customer service and employee concerns. Schedules use of recreational facilities and advises and assists individuals and groups with problems related to scheduled recreational activities including practices, competitions, and recreational use; update facility and staff schedule using scheduling software (i.e. EMS, Fusion, When to Work). Assist with the development and implementation of written policies regarding use priorities for all facilities.
V. Reports safety issues to appropriate personnel and recommends improvements.
- Provides risk management oversight for recreational facility operations and creates/implements procedures to ensure the safety of participants and employees. Ensures safety guidelines are adhered to.
VI. Ensures compliance with assigned budget and makes budget recommendations to manager for assigned activities/programs.
- Participates in the creation, maintenance and reporting of operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources and facility use.
VII. Implements program policies and procedures.
- Participates in the development, monitoring, and implementation of policies and procedures for department or department operations.
VIII. Assists with appropriate public relations and promotional programs.
- Represents and promotes professional conduct, university good will and high standards at events and university designated activities.
XI. Supervises inventory, storage, budget and maintenance of sports and recreational equipment. Maintains files, records and prepares reports as necessary.
- Has knowledge of program activity and industry best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and inter-personal skills and the ability to work effectively across the organization, internally and externally.
- Strong service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment.
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally.
- Client service minded, entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Must have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity of the campus, and ability to learn its mission, vision, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure.
- Ability to tolerate change and ambiguity; able to adapt to new information and/or procedures.
- Good judgment and effective decision-making and problem resolution skills, including skill to recognize and deal effectively and appropriately with real and potential problem areas, including skill to determine the issues/problems that need to be brought to the attention of higher level staff and/or management.
- Must be proficient in the use of basic computer applications.
- Must be proficient in web-based scheduling system EMS Enterprise Client (data entry), Virtual EMS, and Master Calendar modules.
- Must be proficient in web-based recreational management software Fusion product, membership, locker, and services modules.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Red Cross CPR required. Standard First Aid Training Certification required.
- Standard First Aid Instructor Certification.
- Knowledge of campus policies and procedures.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=16667&PostingSeq=1