Lab Operations Manager (5195U) 21721
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 11, 2021
UC Berkeley is the flagship campus of the University of California, internationally renowned for intellectual endeavors, particularly in life sciences and engineering. To equip UC Berkeley with one of the finest global centers of innovation and entrepreneurship, the Bakar BioEnginuity Hub has been created as the flagship innovation center bringing together scholars, entrepreneurs, recent alumni, and industry --working at the interface of the life sciences and engineering --to translate their academic innovation out into the world as startups and as leaders. The mission of this unit is three-pronged: 1) Create essential & high visibility capabilities: rare, sought after tough tech labs to attract industry and start-up innovators; 2) Chart a path for sustainable innovation for this generation and those to come: Establish a revenue-generating incubator that harnesses campus proximity and vibrant programs for students and researchers; and 3) Bolster our community and link to the greater world: Galvanize UC Berkeley's spokes of innovation and entrepreneurship, while providing a portal through which innovators from across UC, the State of California, and around the globe will join us.
LABORATORY MANAGEMENT and SERVICES:
- Manage maintenance/repair/calibration of laboratory equipment. Initiate and maintain communication with outside contractors to coordinate service and repairs that minimizes disruption and expense. Perform or manage light maintenance and repairs. Provide status updates to Bakar Labs staff.
- Manage glasswash/autoclave premium services and others that may be developed over time, ensuring a high level of tenant satisfaction.
- Manage supplies of incubator-to-tenant supplied consumables (eg C02 gases, liquid nitrogen) Monitor equipment usage and propose equipment removal, addition, or replacement. Oversee installation of scientific equipment.
- Manage scheduling system for shared resources including equipment and conference rooms.
- Work with Business Operations to ensure billing for charged resources is implemented.
- As needed, work with managing director to improve building efficiencies and operational costs.
- Provide laboratory space assignments and facility orientation to new tenants. In coordination with campus EHS staff, advise tenants on proper waste stream management, obtaining biological use authorizations and other necessary steps needed to perform laboratory work in accordance with applicable policies.
- Address tenant inquiries and concerns, assess problems and take necessary corrective action, ensuring timely and satisfactory resolution.
- Anticipate, plan, and communicate to Bakar Labs team and tenants significant service disruptions to facility and laboratory resources or services.
- Create policies and usage instructions for shared equipment resources such as core facilities and tissue culture rooms (eg. advanced equipment use, training and qualification, sign up scheduling, service need reporting).
- Be the principal point of contact for all lab safety practices. Ensure that lab safety protocols are documented and available to tenants. Encourage, remind, and direct tenants and staff to follow safety practices. As required, draft and communicate new safety procedures consistent with campus policies.
- Regularly monitor laboratory areas for compliance with EH&S protocols. Take appropriate corrective action. (eg. safe chemical/waste handling and storage, improper use of extension cords, labeling, following PPE requirements, ensuring eyewash and shower areas are clear, no food/drink in lab)
- Ensure all equipment databases and other documentation (including inventory and list of Safety Data Sheets of hazardous, corrosive or flammable chemicals that enter the facility) are up- to-date.
- Participate in the investigation of incidents, near misses and property damage incidents. Ensure follow up is done to minimize future exposure and proper record/documents are maintained.
- Document and communicate repeated violations of major safety violations.
Work with EHS representatives to come into compliance with findings of non-compliance from safety inspections.
WORK WITH FACILITIES SERVICES AND TRADES:
- Manage shipping and receiving for building. Manage tenant chemical and biological waste handling/storage, including proper labeling, and timely pickup.
MONITORING AND EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS/ RESPONSE:
- Primary contact with campus trades and services coordinating all activities including custodial, trash removal, grounds, repairs & maintenance, Primary contact with 3rd party vendors that support building operations.
- Select, implement, and maintain remote monitoring capabilities for cold storage, etc. Create emergency call tree, coordinating with campus staff
- Ensure that there is key equipment redundancy to manage unexpected failures (eg. -80 storage).
- Supervise direct reports
- 3 years of working experience managing a large laboratory.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance and operational support.
- Strong time management, organization, multi-tasking, and decision-making skills
- Excellent communication and customer service skills for building relationships with residents and vendors to expedite resolutions
- Thorough and effective skills to multi-task and prioritize daily activities effectively.
- In-depth scientific instrument/software knowledge along with a solid understanding of workflow efficiencies in a biological lab environment
- Ability to learn about a variety of pieces of complex lab equipment and train residents on best practices
- Active listening, interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Knowledge of architectural or engineering concepts.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career position
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21721&PostingSeq=1