The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. We have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral, and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats, and exotic pets. In additional, the hospital creates a positive learning experience for all faculty, students, and staff. Our mission is to provide high quality patient and client care through excellence in emergency, primary and specialty medicine, and to advance companion animal health, while providing outstanding veterinary education in a compassionate, caring, and professional environment.
What You'll Do
This position focuses on the training and development for the entire clinical veterinary assistant/technician support staff. Specific goals include supporting the on-boarding of veterinary technicians into our hospital to providing the framework to effectively meet the training needs to provide optimal care for our patients. This position will capitalize on existing Cummings School expertise and learning events, as well as available outside expertise when appropriate.
Who are you? You are passionate about learning and know the value of educational experiences that allow veterinary technicians and veterinary assistants to solve real problems, master their skills and deliver quality care. You can build pathways to innovate and transform novices into experts.
This role will support the learning development of the veterinary technician staff at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and will be the primary educator and trainer for new hire on-boarding and be the business owner of the development of technical, analytical, and soft skills training for established and new veterinary support staff.
As a Vet Tech Training coordinator you will:
- Collaborate with Administrative Leaders, Senior Technician Leaders and Technician Supervisors to identify knowledge or skills gaps to address.
- Create training materials and practice active learning with training delivery to meet quality of care standards
- Identify CE opportunities for technical support staff.
- Provide educational opportunities that enhance in-house training and skills building (Webinars, labs, workshops)
- Facilitate in-person training via individual or group formats to grow and develop the skills and knowledge of veterinary support staff.
- Participate in Departmental and Hospital-wide technician initiatives as requested.
- Track and reports training activities for measuring success
- Regularly meet with reporting manager to discuss progress of training activities, training schedules, and hospital training needs.
- Participate in ICAST Committee
- Provides coaching support to new support, peers, and staff to expand training team expertise.
- Serve as the point person for educational development needs requests.
This position is primarily Monday through Friday, with the expectation of this position will include the scheduling flexibility to meet the training needs on various shifts (24/7) as demand requires it.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Technology or another relevant animal biology related field.
- VTS required.
- 7 years’ experience as a veterinary technician required.
- 2 years' experience as a trainer and facilitator of change and learning
- In depth knowledge of professional veterinary nursing standards, concepts, policies, and practices.
- Word, Excel, Power Point, electronic medical record.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work as an effective member of a diverse team of clinical and administrative professionals.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation
Minimum $62,200.00, Midpoint $77,750.00, Maximum $93,300.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.