Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Assistant Director Student Outreach and Support - School of Arts and Sciences
The Division of Student Affairs supports dynamic co-curricular learning and engagement for all undergraduate and graduate students within the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA at Tufts). As a central resource supporting the safety, engagement, and wellbeing of all Tufts Arts and Sciences students, the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs promulgates community standards; coordinates communication between campus constituencies and departments; supports programs and activities to advance student learning; facilitates the coordinated support of individual students, and; works cooperatively with members of the faculty and the colleges’ senior leadership team to ensure the successful achievement of institutional and divisional goals, vision, and values.
A program within the Office of the Dean, Student Outreach and Support contributes to the holistic development of the student experience at Tufts by educating students about personal advocacy, providing educational and personal interventions, and coordinating comprehensive services for undergraduate and graduate students experiencing personal, social, and other challenges. Student Outreach and Support partners work closely with colleagues across the university (e.g., Residential Life and Learning, Campus Life, Tufts University Police Department, Office of Equal Opportunity, Career Center, Health Services, Counseling and Mental Health Services, Health Education, and Student Affairs at the SMFA) on a variety of related programs and initiatives.
What You'll Do
Interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. Finalists will be asked for a writing and case study sample.
The Assistant Director for Student Outreach and Support is responsible for providing comprehensive support to students experiencing crisis, including mental and physical health emergencies, academic challenges, medical concerns, relationship or family concerns, and financial difficulties.
In appropriate circumstances, the Assistant Director facilitates medical leaves of absence, conducts wellbeing checks, reviews return to the university after a period of hospitalization, provides support when students experience acute physical or mental health issues, family concerns, transition and adjustment difficulty, and a variety of other issues that impact a student’s ability to be successful at Tufts during their educational career. The Assistant Director resolves such situations in a way that prioritizes the safety of the student and others in the community; respects student agency, encourages resilience, facilitates personal development; and restores health and wellbeing.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired by a Master’s Degree in higher education, college student development, social work, counseling, psychology, or another closely related discipline, or the international equivalent.
- A minimum of 4 years of work experience in a related field, with a minimum of 2 years of experience working directly with students of concern in a higher education setting.
- Experience with crisis response, including the ability to analyze situations and implement effective solutions in a thoughtful way during times of distress.
- Strong helping skills (e.g., active and reflective listening, facilitated reflection, appropriate confrontation, recognition of mental health concerns requiring referral, suicide prevention, etc.), experience making referrals and providing case management to students in distress.
- Extensive, nuanced understanding of college student mental health concerns, trends, and best practices.
- Excellent judgment and experience making thoughtful decisions in complex, sensitive scenarios.
- Current and thorough knowledge of laws, trends, and practices related to student support in the college and university environment.
- Demonstrated success in starting up and implementing innovative programs.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience successfully employing conflict management skills (e.g., de-escalation, assertive communication, conflict coaching, giving feedback, etc.).
- Proven ability to shape outcomes successfully in a cross-functional, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to build strong relationships with members of diverse constituencies, and a successful track record of collaboration in achieving objectives.
- Commitment to Tufts’ goal of becoming an anti-racist institution and experience with diversity, equity, inclusion, or social justice work.
- Experience working effectively with a wide range of diverse faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to utilize technology in the delivery of student programs.
- Experience with the administration of a student records system.
- Personal computer, time management, and strong organizational skills.
- History of success supervising undergraduate or graduate students.
- Training in case management, suicide prevention and intervention, and/or closely-related topics.
- Experience conducting student learning assessments and program assessments.
- Experience formulating organizational policy.
- Experience creating and assessing learning outcomes.
- Membership in and service to relevant professional organizations.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
This position will respond to emergencies and participates in outreach, training, and other events outside of normal business hours as needed.
This is a hybrid position expected to be on campus for at least half the work week during the fall and spring semesters while classes are in session, with more flexibility for remote work over the summer and during school breaks. There are periods of time and events in which in-person participation is required, and may require availability outside of regularly scheduled hours for emergency response.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |