The Department of Facilities Services is responsible for the efficient and cost effective operations, maintenance and management of all Tufts University facilities consisting of approximately 5 million square feet of space on three campuses (Somerville/Medford, Grafton, and Boston). A broad range of services are provided to support the University campuses including: facility maintenance by all trades, capital
maintenance, information technology systems for operations (work control, time capture, preventative maintenance), energy and utilities systems, recycling and waste management, event services, residential facilities coordination, grounds maintenance and facility condition assessment and tracking.
Facilities Services plays a critical role in planning for the $30M/year deferred maintenance investment. Related
functions, which require close coordination with this department, are public and environmental health
and safety, planning, design and construction of capital and deferred maintenance projects including major
repairs, renovation and new construction.
What You'll Do
Reporting to facilities management, the Carpenter I is responsible for the fabrication, installation, and repair of
items associated with the carpentry field including but not limited to: doors, windows, ceilings, floors, etc.
The position also requires significant knowledge and recent full-time experience in the preparation, decoration
and protection of interior and exterior surfaces of buildings.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience as a carpenter and at least five current years working in the field.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Valid US Driver’s license.
- Must follow rules and regulations as described in the
- University & CBA Handbook.
- Must be able to read and comprehend blueprints.
- Must have working knowledge of computers in a Windows environment, BAS systems (JCI and Schneider
helpful), and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems
- Must have good oral and written communications skills with the ability to read, write and comprehend the
- Must possess solid time management and organizational skills, work well under pressure and juggle multiple
tasks effectively prioritizing competing requirements.
- Must be able to work professionally and tactfully with fellow employees, faculty, students and staff; deal with
difficult people and / or stressful scenarios.
- Must Maintain a professional appearance at all times and adhere to the University’s uniform policy.
- Must be physically able to meet all job requirements.
- Solid time management skills including the ability to multi-task, tactfully deal with unforeseen challenges
and people and work well in a team setting with other technicians and trades professionals.
- Required to work indoors and outdoors in potentially cramped space, during inclement weather year round.
- Successful completion of CORI/SORI background and driving background checks.
- Associates degree or higher in relevant field
- Trade school graduation, or equivalent, and four years of experience as a finish carpenter
- Proficiency in the use Maximo CMMS system
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.