Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Mobility Assistant/Van Driver
Close/Initial Review Date:
Open Until Filled:
Initial Review Date: 10/21/2019 **
**Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
$1,648.73 (per month) plus benefits; Salary Grade:
Full Salary Range:
$1,648.73 - $2,173.24 (per month)
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the classified position above.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
The Disability Resource Center at Foothill College offers courses and services on campus and in the community designed to help students with disabilities. Our mission is to provide equal access for students with disabilities to the college's educational programs and to improve the quality of lives for persons with disabilities in our community.
The Mobility Assistant/Van Driver position is 50% FTE, 20-hour a week position. The person will work from Monday to Thursday from 9:00 to 2:00 pm. This position reports to the Dean of Disability Resource Center.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, safely transport disabled students in compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Safely transport disabled students in compliance with ADA requirements.
- Operate a specially adapted vehicle over an assigned route; pick up disabled students at designated stops; operate hydraulic lift for students as necessary; assist student on and off the vehicle as necessary.
- Assist students to and from classes; serve as a guide for visually impaired and injured students; provide mobility orientation assistance for new students.
- Coordinate pick-up schedule and maintain log of students receiving services.
- Provide assistance for disabled support and testing services; pick up and deliver academic tests for the testing services office.
- Pick up and deliver mail for the Division program and off campus sites.
- Perform safety inspection on vehicles and adaptive equipment and assure completion of necessary repairs.
- Communicate with District staff regarding vehicle repairs, and student transportation needs.
- Maintain a variety of files and records.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Basic First Aid procedures.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Safe driving techniques.
- Computer usage, data entry, and electronic records maintenance.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Operate a specially adapted vehicle.
- Assist handicapped students on and off the vehicle.
- Operate a hydraulic lift.
- Inspect, operate, service and make minor repairs on equipment.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Maintain routine records.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Use technological tools including MS Outlook, Excel, Word, Banner, and Clockwork.
- Office environment.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate computer keyboard and assigned equipment.
- Seeing to read various materials.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Reaching, pulling and pushing to open bus doors and move wheelchairs.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling heavy objects up to 30 lbs.
- Driving a vehicle during adverse weather conditions.
- Traffic hazards.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Any combination equivalent to a High School Diploma AND one (1) year bus/van driving experience.
- Valid California driver's license.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certificates (Preferred).
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
Part-Time (50%), Monday through Thursday, Permanent, 10-months per year
As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/