The Payroll Accountant II is a payroll professional responsible for all aspects of payroll processing for the companies assigned and is a part of a diverse function, which produces 1,200-1,500 bi-weekly paychecks and issues approximately 2,800 W-2’s annually.
The Payroll Accountant II is responsible for assisting with gaining knowledge of all aspects of the payroll process in order to create and maintain documentation of procedures and to recommend enhancements that will increase accuracy and improve efficiency.
The Payroll Accountant II reports directly to the Payroll Manager for the University at Buffalo Foundation, Inc.
About the University at Buffalo Foundation
The University at Buffalo Foundation (UBF) plays a vital role in helping UB establish, enhance and expand its reputation as a leading public research university. As a private, independent organization, UBF assists in the acquisition of strategic assets, investing and providing resources, and providing a variety of services for the UB community.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Process ePTF personnel transactions including all new hire paperwork
- Identify invalid payroll forms
- Calculate biweekly payments and one time pays for salaried individuals
- Calculate periodic retroactive payments
- Verify all necessary approvals for payroll transactions
- Accurately enter, audit and balance all payroll information related to assigned companies
- Promptly notify Payroll Manager of needed manual payments, payroll voids, and other employee adjustments
- Have a working knowledge of visa processing and taxation for both student employment and professional employment
- Create and maintain encumbrances on accounts funding the bi-weekly and monthly payrolls
- Work with accounting department to reconcile accounts
- Audit hospital billing for University Medical Residents Services (UMRS) and University Dental Resident Services (UDRS)
- Process biweekly import for UMRS and UDRS
- Work closely with the Graduate Medical Education office on UMRS and UDRS items
- Reconcile Veteran’s Administration (VA) general ledger on a monthly basis and work with Senior Associate Director of Financial Services to ensure any errors are rectified
- Prepare disbursement requests
- Understand the need for and process journal entries as appropriate
- Prepare federal (941, 1042) and state (NY) withholding payments for Payroll Manager on a bi-weekly basis
- Perform month end, quarter end and year end tasks as required
- Work closely with the benefits team to ensure employee deductions are accurate and timely
- Act as backup to the Payroll Accountant I and, as needed, Senior Payroll Associate
- Scan employee and departmental files on a bi-weekly basis
- Build and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Other payroll duties as assigned
- Maintain strict confidentiality.