Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Research / Laboratory Supervisor (6246U) - 27301
University of California, Berkeley
Research / Laboratory Supervisor (6246U) - 27301
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 30, 2019
Position will remain open until filled.
The Brenner research group is an interdisciplinary research group, at the University of California, Berkeley. Our research has implications for diseases from cancer to Crohn's Disease, and the future of personalized medicine for all people. We have a dozen members ranging from undergraduates to senior researchers and the research group provides a dynamic, occasionally demanding, flexible, and supportive work environment. We are associated with the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, the Department of Bioengineering, the Center for Computational Biology, and the Institute for Quantitative Bioscience at the University of California Berkeley. We are also affiliated with Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and the University of California, San Francisco. We have collaborations with researchers worldwide.
The Research / Laboratory Supervisor has a leading role in facilitating effective laboratory operations and research efforts for a cutting-edge genomics and computational biology research group, and facilitating its campus, national, and international collaborations and interactions. Involves supervising and coaching other research group staff. Involves supporting laboratory research, which includes routine and nonroutine operations, data/information management and interpretation, development and performance of laboratory management procedures, leading engagement of organizational structures for over a dozen units at multiple institutions, literature management, and preparation of reports and support of scientific papers and proposals.
- Supervises and schedules the activities of laboratory including support staff and researchers; may plan and direct work of entry to intermediate level research associates.
- Prioritizes laboratory obligations and delegates appropriately. Sophisticated information management of laboratory management data and reporting, including weekly summary reports and periodic reports to institutional units and funders
- Supervises staff and trainee management activities including recruitment, personnel appointments, performance evaluations and handling disciplinary issues.
- Ensures regulatory compliance relative to safety and security in research programs; develops and provides for staff training in equipment use and safety protocols and secure and sensitive data management.
- Oversees or performs laboratory research and project inventory planning and purchasing,and reimbursement. Management and requisition of laboratory and project materials and supplies, organization and maintenance of chemical and lab supplies and equipment inventories. Employ routine and non-routine laboratory management and budget planning and accounting oversight and grant management and reporting.
- Ensures that data collections and equipment are maintained properly. Upkeep of the laboratory
- Consults and coordinates with academic supervisors, professional researchers, trainees, and staff (both in host laboratory and in collaborative groups, on campus, at other institutions, and internationally) on the nature and objectives of the research project and grant and collaboration goals, including coordinating meetings, symposia, and retreats.
- Interfaces with department, program, and service structures. Facilitates research collaborations within campus and with other institutions.
- Performs state-of-the-art, complex research projects proposal design and logistics supervision in collaboration with academic supervisors. Identifies funding opportunities, and pursues. Depending upon skills, prepare laboratory materials. Supervise and coordinate vetting of project proposals.
- Coaches and mentors laboratory support staff and entry to intermediate associates.
- Contribute towards providing editorial support, graphic design, and administrative management and content for articles for publication in scientific journals, for poster and oral presentations at conferences or symposiums, grant proposals, and reports.
- Depending on skills, engage in scientific software development and visualization.
- Oversee outreach and website production, calendar maintenance, travel coordination, management of correspondence, and meeting schedules within group, campus, and with
- Solid leadership skills associated with planning work assignments, establishing priorities and scheduling space.
- Solid interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, trainees faculty and staff.
- Knowledge of data/knowledge/information acquisition, management, and analysis techniques.
- Advanced knowledge research management to collaborate effectively with faculty and function as a resource to research associates.
- Solid interpersonal communication skills to effectively supervise staff.
- Knowledge of necessary lab, and data safety and security procedures and requirements
- Excellent facility with all components of the Microsoft Office family and Adobe Creative Suite
- Able to work effectively with and respond to other lab members and meet their needs
- Able to provide surge effort/hours as needed for projects with deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work with quantitative information, including complex budget development and deployment and accounting oversight.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently
- Demonstrated fluent and facile command of written and spoken English
- Bachelor's degree in preferably in a biological science, computer science, mathematics or equivalent work experience (such as leading laboratory operations). Advanced degree or comparable training preferred.
- Previous experience with scientific data analysis and/or visualization, software development, script writing and web site development
- Previous experience using and maintaining standard molecular biology equipment such as PCR machines, microplate readers, and chemical inventories
Salary & Benefits
- Authorship of published scientific papers, and scientific poster presentation experience
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27301&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |