Complaint Resolution Officer (0497U) - 27388 - 1139
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Central Human Resources is valued as UC Berkeley's proactive people partner while utilizing the following HR Strategies:
- Bring clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross-team collaboration and transparent communication.
- Use development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust and better performance.
- Apply Berkeley brand to developing a shared enterprise contributor mindset among all employees.
- Provides advice and counsel to the campus in person, by telephone and by email, on such issues as performance management, complex organizational changes, handles and has oversight of PPSM 70 complaints as the complaint resolution officer, work place climate and other related areas.
Ability to provide sound interpretations of UC policies, protocols and procedures.
- Ability to draft implementing procedures for policy related matters
- Prioritizes work assignments, adapts to changing priorities, and conducts complex and varied analysis and develops resulting recommendations.
- Applies advanced human resources and employee relation-specific concepts and skills to investigate formal and informal employee complaints, develop recommendations on the campus's response to employee.
- Assist internal and external clients by providing competent and well researched answers in a rapid fashion related to a variety of LR issues.
- High level of customer service which includes providing responses in a timely manner.
- Responsible for keeping metrics for all transactions.
- Ability to respond to issues in writing and draft detailed reports that can withstand scrutiny from departments and litigation.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to gather unrefined business requirements from multiple sources and formulate and deliver an impactful solution in a timely manner.
- Respond to policy inquiries including drafting implementation procedures and obtain comment from internal and external bodies; ability to draft meaningful correspondence to a larger campus body in a clear, concise and timely manner.
- Provides Resolution Center Support to the campus.
- Provides Respondent Services to the campus.
- Manages sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Project manage key projects as necessary
- Provides training including designing training for and to the campus in performance management (e.g. only: performance appraisals, objectives and standards, and coaching); Leads new hire orientation as needed.
- Ensures that legal, policy and regulatory requirements are met in terms of employee relations to minimize exposure to liability for the campus.
- Responds to employee relations issues according to state and federal laws and union/labor contracts.
- Provides advice to the campus related to policy questions and drafts implementation procedures.
- Represents campus at system-wide policy coordinator meetings.
- Handles other job duties as requested.
- Has advanced knowledge of campus policies and procedures; advanced knowledge of functional area and understands how work impacts other areas in Human Resources and the campus, or ability to learn.
- Has advanced knowledge of employee relations practices and programs.
- Has advanced knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Has advanced knowledge of union/labor contracts.
- Has highly developed skills associated with conflict resolution.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Has the ability to investigate complex cases and draft corresponding reports
- Ability to research policy issues and provide thoughtful well drafted responses
- Ability to project manage initiatives to aid departments in their goals and objectives
- Demonstrated success in administering performance management systems and mentoring managers on the process of evaluating performance.
- Experience in communicating and building relationships with senior and executive leaders.
- Demonstrable understanding of business requirements, industry trends and human resource-related best practices.
- Demonstrates skills and abilities in leading management in areas of conflict and change management.
- Demonstrated ability to handle extremely difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
- Experience directing the strategic and tactical efforts of multi-disciplined, matrix and/or virtual teams on large, complex, HR-related projects.
- Ability to work effectively in a virtual team environment.
- Expertise in developing innovative Human Resource solutions.
- Business strategy development.
- Senior leadership, partnership and coaching.
- Change management, focused on shifts to culture, leadership and management requirements
- Highly customer service centric.
- Ability to project manage projects.
- Excellent consulting skills.
- Track record of credible transformation-centric business partnership and change leadership.
- Demonstrated success in establishing business relationships as advisor, source of judgment and expertise.
- Expertise to identify and drive HR solutions aligned to business strategy.
- Effective pacing prioritization and sequencing of work.
- Intuitive conceptual systems focused thinker.
- Data oriented decision maker.
- Courage to propose solutions others are reluctant to address, act in the face of resistance in the best interests of the campus, staff and related parties.
- Organizational navigation and political savvy.
- Solid Excel and Word Experience.
- Ability to provide meaningful metrics.
- Exceptional writing and drafting skills including report writing.
- Exceptional verbal skills.
- 7-10 years of progressive human resources experience.
- Juris Doctorate or Master's Degree in HR or related field preferred.
- A deep understanding of UC system's policies and practices a plus.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience up to $124,000.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1139&PostingSeq=1