Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Human Resources Specialist
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
The University Libraries seek an articulate, detail-oriented and customer-focused Human Resources Specialist to support a broad range of human resources activities in the Office of the Vice Provost. As a highly visible member of the Libraries’ human resources team, the HR Specialist will interact with the Libraries’ executive team, faculty and staff from the libraries, and staff from various administrative offices on campus. The successful candidate will exercise sound judgment and ethical behavior in support of personnel actions; build strong and cooperative relationships with the university’s HR community; provide a high level of customer support to the faculty, staff and student assistants who work for the libraries; and manage day-to-day activities and projects independently within the Libraries Human Resources Office. The incumbent will report to the Libraries’ Human Resources Officer.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Processing and monitoring personnel transactions for all appointment types across all funding sources including professional and classified staff, library faculty, post doc fellows, and student assistants. Types of transactions include but are not limited to initial appointments, reappointments, resignations, extra service, sabbatical, Title F and other leaves, salary/FTE changes.
- Creating position descriptions for faculty, professional and classified positions, in consultation with supervisors, and ensuring that positions are classified according to appropriate guidelines and standards;
- Serving as a hiring manager in the UBJobs system, overseeing and executing processes for active positions to ensure compliance with university procedures;
- Providing administrative support to search committees and serving on search committees as needed; preparing hiring proposals and offer letters in consultation with the Libraries Human Resources Officer;
- Providing administrative support to dossier preparers for library faculty appointments, reappointments and continuing appointments;
- Overseeing performance management and improvement systems for employees;
- Providing guidance to employees and supervisors regarding promotion and permanent appointment processes;
- Monitoring national salary trends for research libraries, law libraries and medical libraries and completing annual salary surveys for various organizations;
- Serving as an HR liaison with other university entities including University Human Resources, Office of the Provost, Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and International Student and Scholar Services;
- Maintaining knowledge of current provisions of the SUNY Policies of the Board of Trustees, multiple collective bargaining agreements, SUNY and university personnel policies, and applicable federal and state laws that pertain to employment.
We are looking for skilled, passionate individuals to join us in making the University Libraries a center of energy and innovation on campus. You can expect to learn continuously in a rapidly changing academic landscape. We will help you be successful by providing professional development opportunities that will benefit you and the university. The University Libraries values diversity of thought, perspective, experience, and people and is actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. We encourage candidates who thrive in a welcoming multicultural environment to apply.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Two years of professional experience supporting human resources functions;
- A strong sense of accountability and self-motivation;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of constituents, both orally and in written form;
- Active listening and critical thinking skills;
- Excellent business writing skills;
- Outstanding attention to detail and resourceful problem-solving skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize the workload and manage competing priorities;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality while handling restricted and sensitive information in accordance with university policies;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education with the ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment;
- Ability to work independently, function effectively within a team setting, and exhibit good judgment;
- Must possess an informed awareness of the university and display a high-level of customer service to all constituents;
- Expertise with MS Office Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to learn new skills as needed.
- Experience in a higher education setting working with faculty, staff and students;
- Experience/familiarity with UB’s administrative systems – ePTF, SIRI, UB Jobs;
- Experience with UB policies and procedures;
- Familiarity with Associated Press Stylebook and the AP style of writing;
- Experience with program development/event planning.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |