Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Career Services Specialist (4515U) - 9391
University of California Berkeley
Career Services Specialist (4515U) - 9391
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 18, 2020
UC Berkeley Extension is the continuing education branch of the University of California, Berkeley. Extension offers more than 2,000 courses per year in a variety of subjects both online and in the classroom. Extension's administrative departments and units include student records (transcripts), registration, scheduling, international student services, facilities, financial services, and the cashier's office. In addition to the main Berkeley center, it has responsibility for the maintenance and operation of regional centers in San Francisco (Spear Street), and Belmont and other leased facilities in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Applying professional career counseling concepts, counsels Extension's International students on internship options and opportunities related to their course of study.
- Supervises and monitors the internships offered to international students.
- Administrative duties related tot his include creating student and company databases, submitting grades, providing appropriate documents for internship companies and preparing academic documents for students.
- Coordinate and drive information and document flow between administration, students, partner companies, program directors, instructors, external advisers and partner institutions.
- Helps clients identify their interests, values, skills, and personality, and understand how these factors relate to academic/career satisfaction and choice.
- Implement all aspects of student placement process and the relevant logistics for the internship Program.
- Evaluates students' skills, knowledge and experiences as well as the students' professional objectives in order to counsel students on suitable internship opportunities.
- Uses standard quantitative and qualitative assessments to help clients assess career goals.
- Provides guidance/assistance in researching educational and occupational opportunities as they relate to the student's experience in their academic program and internship.
- Explains complex information to interns and participating companies.
- Assists students in writing resumes, developing interview skills and exercising appropriate professional skills in the workplace.
- Helps with decision making, goal setting, and identifying internal/external obstacles to obtaining goals.
- Conducts and adapts workshops and programs to meet students' and staff members' needs.
- Evaluates student feedback to assure academic quality and to continually improve the Internship Program.
- Will periodically conduct company site visits to assess appropriateness, level of student responsibility, working conditions and mentorship relations.
- Implements outreach efforts to increase participation and interest in programs and services.
- Maintains excellent relationships with existing internship provides and develops potential new internship opportunities.
- Identifies and develops new relationships with corporations and organization to grow the internship program.
- Selects company and faculty advisors form a continuously updated list and coordinates all relevant events, from the internship orientations and company fairs to various academic workshops promoting relevant job skills and job safety awareness.
- Schedules meetings and other program activities, including student interview, company visits and observations, instructor meetings and seminars.
- Create and develop online Internship Jobboard for partner companies and students.
- Coordinate advising session scheduling and cancellation.
- Coordinate certificate issuing process.
- Coordinate instructor schedules.
- Coordinate course syllabi collection.
- Coordinate exams.
- Instructor and advisor agreements, Payroll, Invoicing, Course materials, Certificate issuing, Events, Transportation, Catering.
- Basic knowledge of career development theories, adult development theory, counseling processes, career decision making, learning styles, and job search techniques.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn UC programs, career services, recruiting and staffing methods, and employment trends.
- Ability to use computer systems and applications, presentation skills, verbal communication, written communication, and organization skills.
- Ability to work with people from diverse cultures and must demonstrate cross cultural awareness
- Knowledge of current immigration policy including F-1, F-2 and J-1 visas holders in order to maintain compliance with U.S. Justice Department laws and regulations.
- Knowledgeable about database systems in order to monitor student participate and performance.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to interact comfortably with global business institutions.
- Ability to actively engage corporations and organization to become part of the internship program.
- Ability to maintain, expand and protect the integrity of a program closely associated with the University of California, Berkeley name.
- Ability to mediate conflicts with superior problem solving skills, professional protocol and diplomacy.
- Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Three to five years experience advising and counseling international students based on their interests and experiences.
- Several years experience coordinating a university-level internship program, preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a one-year, full-time (40-hours per week), Contract (temporary) position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=9391&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |