Cal Equestrian - Head Coach (5047U) 22281
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Cal Equestrian founded in 2010 and the team gained its Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (ISHA) membership in 2011.
The team currently competes in the IHSA English Division, Zone 8, Region 1, going head to head against established schools, such as Stanford University, UC Davis, and Cal Poly SLO. Members are of all levels and experience, making horseback riding an accessible experience for all the students at UC Berkeley. Team members ride at least once a week.
Cal Equestrian is committed to creating a safe, fun, and competitive environment for students at UC Berkeley who share a love of horses. With first class trainers and top of the line facilities, the program strives to enable riders of all backgrounds to develop their horse knowledge while gaining confidence and leadership skills. Founded upon teamwork, horsemanship, and sportsmanship, the team works to provide a rewarding experience and lifelong friendships for all of its members.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/23/2021
The Coach will be responsible for organizing and collaborating with the team for lessons and shows. Additionally, they will be responsible for the following things:
- Manage the team in practice and show preparation
- Attend all shows throughout the season
- Analyze performance and instruct athletes in skills, techniques, and strategies in preparation for competition.
- Maintain open path of communication with team and conduct meetings/reach out as necessary.
- Comply with IHSA regulations
- Maintain a professional and positive presence in the IHSA community.
- Perform all other duties as needed or assigned.
- Support organizational access to essential services required for sport. Including but not limited to stables and horses.
- Experience coaching IHSA or IEA teams
- 3-5 years of coaching experience
- Ability to develop a strong program that will allow our team to be competitive
- Excellent judgment, problem solving, planning, and organization skills
- Strong communication both in-person and through technology
- Successful background check clearance
- Compliance with all Cal Sport Club, Department of Recreational Sports and University policies and guidelines.
- Proven record of competitive success on the Hunter Jumper A circuit
- Ability to administer lessons and support to all athletes
- Ability to establish appropriate and effective mentoring relationships with student-athletes
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the stages of student development and the importance of a holistic collegiate experience with focus on academic excellence
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Not eligible for UC benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=22281&PostingSeq=1