The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University provides 24-hour care for pets 365 days of the year. Since 1985, we have offered high quality medical care, consultation, referral and emergency veterinary services for the care of dogs, cats and exotic pets. In addition, the hospital creates a positive learning experience for Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University students and student technicians with regard to small animal medicine and supports the training of small animal medicine technicians.
If you are a compassionate, detail-oriented Veterinary Technician looking to form amazing relationships with your team, clients and patients in an inclusive and innovative environment, we want you on our team. We are currently adding multiple positions to respond to the increasing demand for excellent care and increased caseload in our industry.
What You'll Do
This position qualifies for a $2,000 sign on bonus following successful completion of 6 months of employment for newly hired employees.
The Oncology service offers unparalleled medical oncology and radiation therapy treatments to cancer patients in an integrated, team-based environment. We also work closely with our clinical trials department where you will see firsthand cutting-edge medicine that not only effects the future of veterinary oncology but human oncology as well. We are gladly welcoming applicants of all skill levels as we have an extensive training program. We will provide the experience, training, and mentorship you need to take your career to any level. Technicians who have the desire to become a Veterinary Technician Specialist are encouraged to apply! This position strives for a true work life balance by offering a flexible schedule with no weekend or on call requirements.
Some of the many perks of working here include access to numerous CE resources and a CE allowance, a beautiful New England campus with an on-campus café, Medical/Dental/Vision, retirement options, generous paid vacation, and holidays (university observes all major holidays), tuition reimbursement, pet care benefits and opportunities to work in a multitude of veterinary specialties.
To formally apply we are welcoming applications on the University website: Careers at Tufts University
For informal inquiries or additional questions please feel free to email Jessica Boyle (Director of Nursing for Specialty Services) at Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We're Looking For
- Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology or a high school diploma (or the equivalent)
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a fast paced veterinary hospital
- High emotional intelligence and team player
- Engaged learner; Highly motivated to improve your knowledge base and skill set.
- Understanding of medical terminology and familiarity with veterinary pharmacology.
- Demonstrated aptitude in basic technical abilities such as patient restraint, venipuncture and oral medication administration
- Willingness to coach and train students
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a diverse team
- Pride in maintaining assigned areas in a hospital environment.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system as well as the radiation therapy software and hardware.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Two or more years experience in a busy small animal practice, preferably a specialty practice.
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Technician.
- Competency in advanced skills such as IV catheter placement, IV medication administration, and the ability to accurately calculate and check medication doses.
- Competency in general anesthesia
- Advanced credentialing (such as Veterinary Technician Specialist) and/or experience in oncology and/or anesthesia.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- The schedule for this position is part time 17.5 hours per week and may include providing University and calendar holiday coverage on a rotating basis.
- The schedule for this position requires flexibility to ensure that adequate patient care is provided without interruption or exception.
- This position is considered essential and is therefore required to report to work as scheduled during emergency closings.