Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Administrator (4627U) 21689
University of California, Berkeley
Administrator (4627U) 21689
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Breakthrough Listen Initiative, funded by the Breakthrough Prize Foundation, is the most powerful, comprehensive and intensive scientific search ever undertaken for signs of intelligent life beyond Earth. The project is using the Green Bank radio telescope in West Virginia, the Parkes Telescope in Australia and the MeerKat Array in South Africa to search for radio transmissions from advanced civilizations and the Automated Planet Finder at Lick Observatory is being used to search for optical laser transmissions from other technological civilizations.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 12, 2021
- Administers a defined operational program or activities which may include some of the following functions: finance, facilities, payroll, space planning, student services, human resources, communications, informational technology or safety.
- Provides general administrative support and serve as main point of contact for such as PI and Breakthrough Listen Lab with approximately 25 researchers, staff and students as well as visitors and high-level guests. This can include PI and group calendaring, coordinating web meetings, maintain listservs, etc.
- Coordinates and submits reimbursements for expenses for PI and visitors.
- Assists with air, hotel and other travel arrangements for researchers, postdocs, graduate students, and other visitors.
- Ensures reimbursements align with university policies.
- Participates in the development and implementation of efficient and effective systems for managing information, projects and communications to ensure accurate and timely responses.
- Participates in the development and revision of standard operating procedures and guidelines.
- Prepares routine and non-routine correspondence, drafts letters, responds to electronic and telephonic inquiries.
- Assists with ensuring that financial processing functions which may include accounts payable, purchasing, recharge billing, travel / entertainment, gift accounting, and collections are performed with accuracy and that daily operations run smoothly.
- Provides guidance to supervisors and managers in developing job descriptions, facilitating benefits communications, and providing guidance on compensation programs, personnel policies, and procedures. Acts as a liaison with HR and provides guidance and support to supervisors and managers in hiring of staff and students.
- Coordinates and submits purchasing requests and arranges shipping for components and equipment for everything related to the lab and international remote telescope observatories.
- Arranges international shipping to remote telescope sites. Helps ensure that purchases align with university policies.
- Makes Blu-Card purchases and reconciles purchases in BFS.
- Maintains equipment inventory and processes Return Merchandise Authorizations.
- Manage lab facilities. Includes coordinating janitorial services and ordering and maintaining furniture and lab supplies as needed.
- Scheduling and providing oversight for small office space projects.
- Plan and organize on and off-campus event activities, including scientific workshops, receptions, and donor events. Includes managing logistics such as facilities, caterers, and vendors, and facilitation of communication and services with speakers and facility maintenance staff.
- Monitor event budget and expenditures. Attend and assist sponsor's annual conference and advisory board meetings.
- Gathers and analyzes financial and other resource data; prepares reports or analyses of operational activities, evaluation of current and proposed services, etc.
- Functions as a resource on issues such as researching financial discrepancies, escalated customer service problems and vendor concerns.
- Coordinate and research payments with finance/RA/Disbursements/Vendor staff.
- Research all campus requests related to the lab.
- Serve as campus liaison.
- Gather Information per requests from Breakthrough Lab, PI, HR, Sponsors, RA, and Dept. Mgr.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment and decision making.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Working knowledge of financial processes, data management, policies and procedures.
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheet and database software.
- Experience using campus systems such as Cal Time, Berkeley Financial System, Bearbuy, UC Path, Berkeley Ticketing System, Travel and Entertainment system and rules, BluCard, and Cal Answers.
Salary & Benefits
This is an hourly (non-exempt) position. Hourly rate will be commensurate with experience
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, 3-year contract that is eligible for full UC Benefits. Renewal is possible with continued funding.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21689&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |