Executive Assistant (7377U) Job 1787 - BLUM - 1787
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 10/10/19
The Blum Center enables interdisciplinary problem-solving aimed at poverty alleviation and social impact, operating on the notion that a world-class, public university must be a force for tackling the urgent problems in the world. Since its founding in 2006, the Blum Center's mission has been to train people, support big ideas and enable solutions. To that end, the Center has sourced hundreds of innovations, and supported thousands of problem-solvers who have gone on to launch nonprofits, for-profits, and cross-sector partnerships that are scaling solutions across the globe. Our flagship programs are: Big Ideas@Berkeley
, The Global Poverty and Practice Undergraduate Minor, The Development Impact Lab, The Development Engineering Graduate Minor. Headquartered at UC Berkeley, we have Centers at all other UC campuses.
The Administrative Officer (AO3) will serve as an administrative resource in support of the Blum Center Executive Committee, consisting of the Faculty Director, Education Director, Chief Technologist and Chief Economist ( BCEC) (50% time). In this capacity the incumbent will also provide back up to another Administrative Support Officer in the Center. In addition, this position will provide programmatic support for the Blum Center's program(s) (50% time). This position will also provide administrative support in organizing meetings of groups of faculty to participate in formulating new educational and research programs in the center. An existing such program is the Big Ideas program. Another ongoing program is the support of Board meetings and activities of the Board members. The incumbent will provide support for the execution of the programs by exercising day-to-day management techniques to ensure compliance with Blum guidelines and the program budget (50% time).
90% PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION
Calendar Management and Scheduling:
- Tracks and coordinates schedule for BCEC new initiatives.
- Schedules and confirms meeting attendees and prepares relevant materials, including agenda and background materials, and as needed, documents meetings by producing and disseminating meeting minutes to all attendees.
- Coordinates as needed with Blum staff and leadership to facilitate teleconferences, group meetings, and events involving visitors.
- Helps organize and convene brainstorming and other organizational meetings for initiatives in the Center.
Travel Planning and Reimbursement Oversight:
- Facilitates scheduling, airline ticket purchasing, and hotel accommodations for Blum related travel, ensuring that all travel is efficiently executed and planned to be in compliance with applicable UC G-28 travel policies, along with Blum programmatic travel policy.
- Prepares and oversees travel expense reimbursement, ensuring that travel reimbursement requests are submitted in compliance with UC and Blum policy and in conformance with standard procedures for BLUM. Coordinates and provides travel assistance to Blum visiting Faculty.
- Monitors daily travel, entertainment and BearBuy approval.
Entertainment Planning :
- Arranges and executes entertainment meetings and events that are hosted by the BCEC and Big Ideas Prepares agendas, invitations, collateral materials.
- Identifies and reserves facilities and restaurants, initiates relationships with caterers, ensures that all aspects of entertainment are in compliance with UC and Blum policies and procedures, follows up to ensure that vendors and service providers receive payments in a timely manner.
General Administrative Duties :
- Provide back up to the Administrative Support Officer to the Director.
- Support the Blum Center Board and meetings with its members.
- Maintains office equipment as necessary, orders consumable office supplies as needed using BEARBUY; prepares federal express mailings as needed; and coordinates any other facilities management or purchasing services with the appropriate ERSO businesses services unit.
- Maintains, proofreads and uploads pertinent policy postings, standard operating procedures, guidelines and calendar of events to b-space.
- Performs advanced word processing using presentation tasks using MS Office Suite and prepares reports, memos, letters and electronic mail communications.
- Maintains online and hard copy filing systems.
- Assist with outreach and coordination of Funders and Sponsors.
- Leads the development of all Blum Center Salesforce accounts including for the Global Poverty and Practice minor, Big Ideas Contest, and Designated Emphasis in Development Engineering (Dev Eng).
- Oversees Salesforce administration, maintenance, troubleshooting and data migration tasks based on input from staff.
- Creates reports and dashboards to inform decision-making by program managers and senior leadership.
- Proactively improves and customizes Salesforce to suit the Blum Center's diverse needs.
- Directly inputs and manages content provided by Senior Leadership team into publishing software platforms such as MailChimp, WordPress, LucidPress.
- Manages workflow and analytics of publishing software platforms such as MailChimp, WordPress, and Lucid Press.
- Coordinates and compiles the submission of adhoc reports that are required by Blum leadership. Reports may include annual project and financial reports, and spending projections.
- Prepare financial and budget expense transfer journals.
- Assist with monthly fund reconciliation and projection.
- Prepare payroll transfer request as needed.
10% EVENT PLANNING AND FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
- Coordinates and schedules visits by potential collaborators, including finding accommodations and meeting logistics.
- Plans and administers all logistics for special events such as conferences, seminars, and workshops. Coordinates on-site and off-site meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Coordinates, plans and executes all research conferences; off-site as well as on-site research retreats, conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Independently develops and implements protocols for regular meetings and conferences on an on-going basis.
- Provides assistance to Blum leadership for meetings and conferences including making reservations, sending invitations, maintaining attendee lists, compiling Curriculum Vitae, photocopying, printing and distributing communications or meeting materials; arranging catering, making travel and parking reservations, and processing invoices and reimbursements.
- Maintains databases and spreadsheets.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations activities such as event planning, reporting techniques, reimbursement, and human resources policies and procedures.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task with competing timeframes.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem-solving and customer service.
- Ability to manage content and work flows on multiple publishing software platforms, such as MailChimp, WordPress, LucidPress.
- Facility with Adobe Illustrator, PowerPoint, and other basic digital presentation tools.
- Willingness to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and be transparent about ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to proofread documents for both textual and visual accuracy.
*One-year experience preferred with Salesforce administration, including database design, installing and modifying objects, setting-up custom reports and dashboards, with a thorough understanding of capabilities and limitations of the platform.
*Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*The salary range designated for this position: $67,500 - $86,000; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1787&PostingSeq=1