Accounting & Procurement Specialist (4627U) - 20516
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 21, 2021
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Procurement & Accounting Specialist who will work within the department's Business Office.The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Procurement & Accounting Specialist who will work within the department's Business Office.
This position involves the oversight, servicing and some processing of a variety of operational and financial transactions. These include: procurement, accounts payable, reconciliation, data collection, analysis, review and control, customer servicing, cashiering, accounts receivable, and reporting. This position ensures timely procurement request review and processing, receipt and payment of all invoices, and resolves issues with other campus departments (disbursements, procurement, etc). They manage moderately complex issues with vendors, correct accounting errors, and reconcile monthly charges from campus entities. They also work with campus stakeholders to streamline information processing and with department end users to follow agreed-upon procedures.
- Reviews procurement requests to ensure all requisition information is accurate, complete and complies with policy and funding requirements.
- Submits procurement requests to Berkeley Regional Services and follows up to answer questions and get additional information if needed.
- Holds a BluCard and Event Planner Card delegation and uses these cards to purchase goods and services.
- Reconciles procurement card transactions in BFS within the 15-day staging period.
- Adhere to all BluCard procedures and policies and stay current with BluCard policy changes.
- Serves as approver for BluCard transactions where needed.
- Ensures all items are fully completed, including the addition of coding, and documentation for timely payments.
- Collects invoices, invoice approvals, reviews, and matches up all invoices to ensure processing and payment.
- Provides approvals on all invoices and facilitates invoice submissions to disbursements for processing.
- For larger accounts, tracks payments, collects open invoices and keeps in regular contact with these vendors.
- Performs internal checks to ensure timeliness of such payments.
- Serves as Department point of contact on payment issues with internal and external clients.
- Serves as primary point of contact with Berkeley Regional Services on work questions, transfer of work, receipt of work, coding questions and work process issues.
- Performs voucher approvals in Bearbuy, which includes reviewing invoices for accuracy, confirms receipt of goods & services with purchaser, and follows up to answer questions and get additional information if needed.
- Develops, documents, and implements procedures for financial activities to ensure that the unit is running as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Assists with year-end and month-end reconciliation and in tracking year-end expenses and revenues.
- Assists with year-end audits.
- Assists with processing travel, entertainment & other business-related reimbursements as needed.
- Assists with the processing of various urgent payables and also collects and provides chart string information for miscellaneous cash and checks.
- Facilitates payment from 3rd party vendors.
- Performs correction journals on an as-needed basis.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of financial processes, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of financial data management and reporting systems and understanding of general procurement requisition process.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment and decision-making; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Proactive with vendors and end users to maintain efficient payable schedules.
- Current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the Pac-12 Conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the Berkeley campus of the University of California adheres.
- Experience with or ability to learn Berkeley Financial System (BFS) and BearBuy, Berkeley's Procure to Pay system.
- Experience in an Intercollegiate Athletics environment.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20516&PostingSeq=1