Program Manager, Science Mathematics and Biotechnology(4169U) UNEX Academic Departments - SSALLEX 50959
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
Summer Sessions, Study Abroad, Lifelong Learning & University Extension (SSALLEX) is the extended education division of the University of California, Berkeley, and an essential part of the University's mission to extend the research and scholarship of UC Berkeley to a global community. SSALLEX is a vibrant and dynamic organization that enables more than 60,000 visiting, UC and potential Cal students; parents, faculty, academic units, international business partners, and central campus service providers engage in campus activities. The department provides more than 2,000 summer courses, fall freshmen programs, study abroad experiences, global internships, and year-round programs or courses, lectures, special events, and interest circles for older adults.
Responsible for the implementation and management of Science Mathematics and Biotechnology programs. Supervise team of Program Coordinators, Program Specialists and Student Advisors. Manage processes to ensure academic quality and student success. In collaboration with Lead Instructors and Recruitment specialist, manage instructor recruitment, onboarding and relations. Manage program and course planning and scheduling, assessment processes, student conduct procedures, academic advising, budgeting, analysis, reporting, and inter and intra-department communications. Collaborate with Admissions Services, Student Services, and Career Services to provide excellent student support.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 04/04/2023.
Establishes evaluation criteria for measuring outcomes and impact.
- Manages academic quality assurance and improvement processes as defined by academic leadership, including managing the implementation of standards for course preparation, assessment, and evaluation.
- Under the direction of the Program Director, manages with Lead Instructors regular meetings with advisory committees, program instructors, for ongoing discussion of quality improvement.
- Manages resolution process for academic issues with instructors, students, and partners.
- Manages student conduct processes in collaboration with colleagues from academic and administrative departments.
- Provides regular reports on results to the Program Director.
Uses considerable discretion to determine methods and procedures for assessing current and new course offering and topics.
- Under the guidance of Assistant Dean for Professional Programs, collaborates closely with program directors and program managers in the department to ensure standardization of quality and administration processes across programs.
Works with Program Director, Assistant Dean and Lead Instructors to plan and develop programs and curriculum, and updates or adjusts existing courses and curriculum as needed.
- Collaborates with Marketing to communicate programmatic changes.
Evaluates prospective program partnerships.
Recruits, and onboards qualified instructors.
- Under the guidance of the Program Director, evaluates and supervises instructors, and works closely with Lead Instructors, Assistant Dean and Academic Advisory Boards to ensure excellence in all areas of instruction across programs.
Prepares and reconciles program budgets.
- Provides regular reports and projections to senior leadership in the department.
In collaboration with the Program Director, evaluates and adjusts course curriculum through student course and outcome evaluations and levels of interest shown.
- Conducts and/or attends regular student and instructor meetings, and information sessions, and solicits feedback to resolve problems and improve curricula and delivery of courses.
Collaborate with Admissions Services, Student Services Marketing and Career Services to provide excellent student support through advising and optimization of student communication and information sharing.
Manage program team of Coordinators, Specialists, and Student Advisors to provide timely resolution of student and instructor inquiries, concerns and grievances.
- Works with the Program Director for continuous quality process improvement.
- Skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments (i.e., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of and/or can quickly learn the organization's policies and procedures; advanced knowledge of subject.
- Experience managing academic programs.
- Experience assessing the quality of academic programs and managing process improvement efforts.
- Experience managing a portfolio of academic or professional training courses.
- Experience planning and managing events
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and cross-cultural communications skills sufficient to represent the university in meetings with leaders and senior-level representatives of other organizations.
- Bachelor's degree in related areas and/or equivalent experience/training is required.
- Masters degree in related areas and/or equivalent experience/training is required.
- Experience working in higher or continuing education.
- 3 or more years of international work experience.
- 5 or more years' experience working in higher education administration or academic program management progressively taking on greater responsibilities.
- Experience working in higher education with international students.
- A PhD.
- Continuing education experience in related fields.
- 3 or more years' experience working in higher education administration or academic program management progressively taking on greater responsibilities.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) exempt career position, which is paid monthly and eligible for full UC Benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $74,000 - $83,000.
How to Apply
- To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source of "UCB Employee" and then enter the employee's Name and Berkeley email address in the Specific Referral Source field. Please enter only one name and email.
- This is not a visa opportunity.
- This position is eligible for up to 100% remote work.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=50959&PostingSeq=1