Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
What You'll Do
The Datacom Services Manager (DSM) leads the team and oversees the day-to-day activities of the Datacom Project Managers, and the Datacom Team Lead. The DSM is responsible for the design, installation, maintenance and repair of all Tufts Technology Services (TTS) inside and outside plant, copper & fiber telecommunications (voice & data) cable, conduits and pathways, telecom rooms and related infrastructure. The DSM oversees related Dig Safe requests & notifications as well the definition of cabling standards and documentation and update of the TTS Wiring Specifications. The DSM collaborates with Tufts Operations Capital Programs & Facilities Teams as well as TTS Network Services & AV Teams to assign and allocate Datacom PM, Technician & Contractor resources and manages the development of design documents, creation of equipment, cost estimates & Statements of Work for new installation, repair & replacement of telecom cable & infrastructure. The DSM manages the finances of the department including oversight of material procurement & chargeback, facilitates the professional development of staff and serves as the senior most point of escalation for the team.
Occasional evening or weekend work, as well as the ability to serve as a senior point of escalation for staff engaged in 24x7 support of major incident support activities.
This position has a work designation of hybrid.
What We're Looking For
• Knowledge and experience typically acquired through a High School Diploma/GED or Vocational Technical Training
• 5+ years’ of related technical and progressive management experience
• At least three years in experience managing telecommunications cabling projects, designing and implementing copper twisted pair and fiber optic outside and inside plant cabling, and horizontal structured cabling.
• Experience in the design and installation of both aerial and underground outside cable plant & infrastructures, including, coaxial cable, fiber optic cable, and multiple pair copper cables
• Demonstrated project management experience including scheduling and coordination of complex tasks, timelines, staff & contractor resources and material & equipment procurement and installation
• Basic understanding of common network topologies and operation, such as Wi-Fi, VoIP, and Ethernet
• Experience with design tools such as, Visio and AutoCAD and ability to read and interpret Building Plans, CAD drawings & “Blue-Prints”
• Must have a current driver’s license
• Comprehensive knowledge of current TIA and BICSI standards, and the National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code.
• Demonstrated experience in establishing & negotiating contract agreements with contractors, third party providers, and material/technology vendors
• Bachelor’s or Associates degree in related field
• Current BICSI RCDD certification
• Knowledge of and experience with test equipment and tools required for the maintenance of communication equipment and cable testing
• Experience in the design and management of Security and Access Control Systems
• Experience in the design and management of alarm, control and life safety systems
• Massachusetts Electricians License and/or S-License and/or Systems Technician certification