The Animal Care service supports the Foster Hospital for Small Animal's mission by providing general housekeeping services ensuring care, cleanliness and comfort for all the dogs, cats and exotic pets who are treated in our inpatient, outpatient and emergency services.
What You'll Do
The Animal Care Attendant is responsible for patient care and feeding general housekeeping and maintenance of the clinical space in the Small Animal Hospital. The Animal Care Attendants provide assistance to the Veterinary Technicians in completing daily treatments.
What We're Looking For
- High School Diploma or the equivalent with up to one year of related experience.
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a team.
- Pride in maintaining assigned areas in a hospital environment.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn the electronic medical record system.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Vocational/technical training or Associates Degree preferred with one or more years of experience.
- Knowledge of animal behavior, restraint, feeding and basic sanitation.
- Exotic animal handling skills. Exotic animals include birds, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, rodents, special small mammals (such as chinchillas or hedgehogs), reptiles, and amphibians. For Animal Care Attendants working primarily with the Zoological Companion Animal (ZCAM) program, exotic animal handling skills are required.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Schedule is Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:45pm and will include University holiday and calendar holiday coverage. This position is considered essential and is therefore required to report to work as scheduled during emergency closings.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity