The Department of Infectious Disease and Global Health combines four important areas of expertise within Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. These are public/population health, international medicine, wildlife and conservation medicine and infectious disease research. The alignment of these areas promotes cross-disciplinary strengths that are important in achieving the department's goal of improving human, animal and ecosystem health locally, nationally and internationally. Much of the research in the Department aims to advance understanding of the biology and host interaction of pathogens, particularly those causing enteric disease, and to use this information to develop immunotherapy and vaccines against the pathogens.
What You'll Do
This position will involve a variety laboratory related tasks under the direct supervision of the principal investigator and senior research staff. The primary laboratory-related tasks include microbial culturing, DNA purifications, ELISAs, PCR and DNA gel electrophoresis, etc., cell culture and sterile techniques and working under the training and general direction of the senior research team member(s). The position will require substantial data recording and maintenance of lab records. The individual will be expected to take on new and/or additional duties as skills improve and lab needs change. This applicant should be highly motivated to learn new methods, be well-organized, very careful and willing to accurately follow detailed instructions. A premium is placed on careful execution rather than speed of performance.
- Performance of studies under the direction of the research faculty and senior staff member(s).
- Assays including PCR, ELISAs, gel electrophoresis, flow cytometry; and DNA isolation.
- Quantitation of bacterial load in tissues
- Records and analyzes data with limited data interpretation
- Cell culture and sterile techniques
- Laboratory cleaning
- Oversees and coordinates lab organization and maintenance
- Biowaste disposal
- Equipment maintenance and cleaning
- Restocking and preparing solutions
- Ordering supplies.
- Potential animal-related tasks include daily monitoring and scoring of the animals, collection of fecal pellets, and animal handling. C
- hanging of animal cages and weekend monitoring may also be required.
What We're Looking For
- 0-1 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related field of study
- Valid US Driver’s license
- Ability to use Excel, PPT and Word, and other basic computer skills
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Infectious disease and animal experience preferred
Minimum $19.30, Midpoint $23.15, Maximum $27.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.