Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Benefits Analyst - ECC
Erie Community College
Posting Closing Date:
April 21, 2019
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The work involves performing and assisting in the day-to-day operations of group benefits programs (group health, worker’s compensation, flexible spending plan and retirement plan). The benefits analyst also provides excellent customer service and quality benefits plan information, investigates new benefits programs, improves existing programs, and supervises and monitors benefits administration, as well as designs employee benefit plans and provides analytical and technical support in the delivery of the benefits programs. The incumbent also assists in coordinating and communicating employee health insurance packages and retiree benefits packages and performs reconciliations. Work is performed under the supervision of a higher-level Human Resources Employee. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Maintains accounts and/or records in connection with the administration of employee health insurance benefits and retiree benefit packages;
- Responsible for researching and assessing employee benefit plans, as well as formulating recommendations for employee benefit programs that benefit the employees and ECC;
- Continually reviews departmental processes, procedures, and policies for appropriate updates and recommend improvements;
- Reviews both short-term and long-term cost estimates and relevant statistical analyses regarding modifications to benefit programs and, where needed, coordinates the implementation of new offerings;
- Compiles employee and retiree benefit data for financial and statistical reports and prepares reports, statements, and records;
- Works cooperatively with the County Personnel Office in interpreting and applying rules and policies in health, retirement, and related accounts (tax-sheltered accounts), flexible spending, Worker’s Compensation, NYS Unemployment benefits, and other Human Resource programs;
- Performs audits of employee benefit records to ensure record accuracy and compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions;
- Acts as an information clerk for employees, where a comprehensive knowledge of benefit options and related information is needed;
- Seeks out continuing education opportunities for benefits staff to further their professional development;
- May prepare and submit vouchers for payments to TRS, as well as process adjustments and vouchers for retirement, flexible spending, health, and dental benefit packages, other voluntary benefits and payroll deductions;
- Inputs data into health insurance systems for employees and retirees; May process health benefit transactions, including COBRA;
- Processes Worker’s Compensation claims;
- Processes New York State Unemployment claims;
- Responsible for monthly reporting to New York State Employees and/or Teachers Retirement System (ERS/TRS), reconciling and transmitting monthly data to ERS/TRS, and reconciling and transmitting bi-weekly data to TIAA-CREF;
- Prepares Federal and State mandated reports at scheduled periods throughout the year;
- May submit monthly reports to the Director of Human Resources regarding a variety of employee benefit matters; May prepare data for collective bargaining negotiations;
- Will interpret collective bargaining contract provisions related to matters of employee benefits;
- Develops and manages communication campaigns for employee benefit-related activities such as insurance open enrollment, benefit fairs, and wellness activities;
- May occasionally type such material as correspondence, memoranda, reports, purchase orders, lists, tabulations, payrolls, and stencils;
- May assist with processing FMLA claims.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusive and diverse learning environment;
- Good knowledge base of laws, rules, and regulations which pertain to employee benefits;
- Good knowledge of the methods used in keeping employee benefit records; Good knowledge of benefit transaction procedures;
- Good knowledge of office terminology, procedures, and equipment; Good knowledge of business arithmetic and English;
- Ability to compile and prepare reports; familiarity with interpreting complex regulations such as the civil service laws, rules and regulations, collective bargaining (union) agreements, and employee benefits;
- Ability to communicate with employees, verbally or in writing, to explain laws, rules, regulations, employee benefit options, and human resource procedures in a clear and simple manner;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Ability to compile statistical and routine data; initiative to seek areas of improvement and ownership in one’s work;
- Ability to get along well with others;
- Working knowledge of collective bargaining agreements, health insurance plans, and retiree plans; Skilled in the use of Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
- Strong analytical skills; resourcefulness; dependability;
- Strong time management skills;
- Capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources, or a closely related field and two (2) years of office experience which include benefit administration and related accounting functions.
OR Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Business, Human Resources, or closely related field and four (4) years of office experience which includes benefit administration and related accounting functions.
*OR * Equivalent combination of A and B.
*This position will be filled provisionally. The successful candidate must take the next CSEA Civil Service Exam and be reachable. *
Official transcripts will be required for successful candidates within 30 days of hire.
Our mission to offer quality education includes exposing our students to a diverse range of cultures, experiences and expertise. At SUNY Erie Community College, we value diversity and encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
Contact Human Resources at (716) 851-1840 with any questions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
SUNY Erie Community College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or in the administration of any of its policies and programs on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, familial status, military status, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics, veteran status, criminal conviction, or any other characteristics protected by law. This applies to all students, applicants or other members of the College community (including, but not limited to, vendors and visitors). Grievance procedures are available to interested persons by contacting the Civil Rights Compliance Officer listed below. Retaliation against a person who files a complaint, serves as a witness, or assists or participates in the investigation of a complaint in any manner is strictly prohibited.
The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College’s non-discrimination policies:
Civil Rights Compliance Officer
Tracy Archie, Chief Diversity Officer
Office of Equity and Diversity
City Campus, Room 174, 121 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
For further information on notice of non-discrimination, please contact:
New York Office
United States Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights, 32 Old Slip 26th Floor,
New York, N.Y., 10005-25010;
Tel (646) 428-3800; Email: mailto:OCR.NewYork@ed.govOCR.NewYork@ed.gov.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |