Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Electronics Technician I
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Electronics Technician I
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Primary departmental responsibilities are for monitoring, supervising and providing help to campus students, faculty and staff in areas encompassing Electro-Mechanics. Duties and responsibilities include updating, ordering and dispensing electrical and mechanical components and materials, teaching soldering, troubleshooting, electro/mechanical circuit and project fabrication for various departmental courses and projects. This also includes a working knowledge of our machine shops equipment and tooling, fabrications with a large variety of materials for use in lecture demonstrations and projects, Multisim/Labview and Ultiboard design software simulation tools, Solidworks, analog and digital project fabrication, assisting faculty and provision of assistance in all other ECE Technical Service areas as needed.
- Perform or oversee student help in stocking, dispensing and retrieving components, kits, reference material and equipment which accounts for most of the general counter activity. This activity will also be shared with a colleague.
- Order the necessary electro-mechanical supplies as the need arises with ECE managers approval.
- Must be proficient in the use of all mechanical and electrical hand tools, drill press, lathe, Bridgeport, band saw, cutoff saw, bender/brake, shear etc.
- Oversee the use of students in the use of our machine and electrical shop tools and equipment as noted above.
- Fabricate and troubleshoot various electrical and mechanical projects and systems.
- Assist the faculty, students and staff with electrical and mechanical problems.
- Perform or oversee student help in entering and tracking all student project accounts, keeping our inventory of the components, hardware, special materials and equipment updated on our network based PC system.
- Have a working knowledge of our Multisim/Labview/Ultiboard simulation software used in circuit design and fabrication and Solid Works.
- Help faculty, staff and students in finding information on parts and equipment.
- Assist colleague in performing or overseeing student help in routine maintenance of shop equipment and all department PC's. This would involve internal and external cleaning, replacement of cards, disk drives, etc. as the need arises which requires knowledge of PC hardware and software.
- Must be proficient in the fabrication of devices and projects using plastic, wood and metal materials.
- Assist students in solving electronic and mechanical project fabrication problems.
- Fabricate sophisticated class demonstrations under the direction of our faculty.
- Hire and supervise work-study students that would assist in carrying out many day to day shop activities.
- Must be able to work a few hours in the morning and in the afternoon with the balance worked in the evening, not exceeding 40 hour/week.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree (or equivalent in engineering courses) and 15-20 years of industrial experience covering the areas noted in the job description above or a candidate that has worked in a University environment holding a position that has covered all the areas noted above.
- Commensurate with the maturity and ability for self-directed work required for the position, 2 years of experience is minimal, with a preference for 5+ years working in an area where there is a constant contact with a wide range of individuals with various backgrounds and experience.
*Ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, to interact pleasantly and effectively with a broad range of people including faculty, graduate, undergraduate students, and other staff under sometimes demanding situations.
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Electronics-Technician-I_R0000351
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |