Performs a variety of technical and complex administrative support duties for a senior-level administrator. Coordinates and performs administrative projects involving research and coordination of data and materials to meet timelines, often involving multiple organization units and outside organizations. Coordinates work flow and support activities for the office and often for programs involving other organization units and grants.
Distinguishing Career Features:
The Administrative Assistant II is part of a multi-level career path encompassing administrative and secretarial support. Administrative Assistants at this level focus on applying secretarial skills typically for a function that is usually comprised of a division having oversight of closely related functions. Advancement to this level of Administrative Assistant is based on need and requires at least two years at and Administrative Assistant I level with a demonstrated ability to serve the senior administrators or higher, whose functions require integrating the services of a variety of departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties.
* Provides support to an executive of a technical and complex nature. Completes work assignments by applying in-depth understanding of the functions and procedures of the division and a basic understanding of the functions and procedures of other divisions.
* Prepares, organizes, and maintains a variety of comprehensive and confidential files and records. Receives, handles, and stores the confidential, private, and sensitive information pertaining to the assigned executive office and division.
* Responds to inquiries and conveys technical and/or other information about programs and services provided by the organizational unit and District. Interprets and conveys policies and procedures, referring and briefing extremely difficult or sensitive matters to the appropriate administrator.
* Provides guidance, support, and comprehensive case management to students enrolled in EOPS programs including but not limited to CARE, NextUp, Guardian Scholars and CalWORKs.
* Assists with conducting outreach activities targeting students eligible for all programs housed in EOPS office including but not limited to CARE, NextUp, Guardian Scholars & CalWORKs. Assists students with enrollment and inputs student data into district systems.
* Attends meetings and other conferences to stay current on policies and procedures as needed.
* Organizes, balances, prioritizes, and performs administrative support duties, anticipating business and academic calendars and cycles. Establishes and works within time lines for projects, activities, and required submissions.
* Coordinates the administrative aspects of projects and events, integrating them with ongoing work routines and making assignments to other staff as necessary.
* Assists the executive by preparing multimedia presentations for use in internal, board, and external use.
* Provides administrative support to special processes such as, but not limited to cross-functional committees, advisory boards, and special interest group meetings. Prepares forms, revisions, and final documents to support proceedings.
* Takes notes, recollections, or transcribes proceedings, including those which are of a confidential or private nature. Prepares from rough drafts or standing instructions a variety of correspondence, reports, and statistical data. Independently composes, and reviews for legality, original correspondence and forms on routine district matters.
* Prepares board agenda items, agreements, and contracts for services/facilities used by and/or provided by the division. Processes contract documents and sets up internal routines for monitoring performance.
* Prepares reports for internal and external use. Sets up deadlines for other work units to submit information.
* Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors, handling routine-to-difficult matters independently, providing information, or routing calls to administrators.
* Schedules appointments and arranges meetings as directed. Prepares schedules and informs participants, confirming dates and times. May initiate hotel, conference, and travel reservations as directed.
* Prepares agreements and contracts for services used by and/or provided by the division. Prepares and submits contract documents to get approvals, and distributes executed instruments.
* Performs special projects as assigned. Conducts research of file libraries, business transactions, official proceedings, employee and student records, industry statistics, and trends, etc., to compile reports for administration or to regulatory or governing agencies.
* Assists the executive with development of division-level budget proposals, maintaining communications with work sections on status and information needs. Maintains approved budgets, transaction records, and audit trails, including those for contracts, capital outlay, special projects, and grant-funded activities.
* Reconciles expenditures and initiates budget allocation changes and reassignments of funds to and from various accounts, coordinating with accounting staff to assure compliance. Prepares requisitions and claims for reimbursement.
* Compiles periodic analytical reports requiring research, estimates, and presentations that integrate text and presentation graphics. Prepares reports for state and local agency requirements.
* May assign, prioritize, and review work of other staff and temporary help.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.