Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Communications Director (5887U)
University of California Berkeley
Communications Director (5887U)
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, and the Gladstone Institutes, and located on the UC Berkeley campus. A key focus of the IGI is accelerating translation of CRISPR-Cas-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health, agriculture, and the environment.
The IGI is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. The IGI is interested in candidates whose previous experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion. The IGI is also interested in individuals who may have had non-traditional career paths or taken time off for family/personal reasons.
- Lead development and implementation of an integrated, audiencecentric content strategy to support the IGI strategic objectives and to establish the foundation for all internal and external communications activities.
- Engagement key audiences by synthesizing news from IGI and key national and international conversations relevant to IGI
- Establish and evolve a content agenda aligned with the content strategy.
- Develop collaborative relationships with pertinent offices at all partner locations, including: public relations, development, government relations, Chancellors, Diversity & Inclusion, and scientific divisions and crossdivisional programs.
- Bring functional experts together to evaluate content opportunities against priorities and resources, gain alignment and make final decisions regarding execution.
- Champion adherence to content style guidelines to support consistent implementation of brand standards, messaging and voice, and ensure accuracy and scientific integrity in our published work. Be the point of content for development and distribution of all branding materials.
- Build, manage and mentor a highperforming team to execute content strategy and tell compelling stories that reflect the excellence and impact of IGI research.
- Manage communications team members on projects and/or identify freelance science writers for specific projects, as needed (Requires an understanding of the needs for all program areas of IGI (science and social science).
- Evaluate and manage contracts and contract work.
- Work with admin assistant to create and maintain proper recipient lists for publications, notices, and newsletters.
- Serve as editorinchief of owned and contributed content, guiding the discovery and crafting of stories that build awareness,
- Evaluate IGI multi-campus needs and work with the IGI Directors to develop a strategy for creation, development, and updating of print materials, including newsletters, brochures, presentations, event advertisements, flyers, etc.
- Independently develop, gather material for, and write an IGI Bulletin/Newsletter (combination of print and online).
Online (web and social media)
- Evaluate current website and establish content metrics, oversee implementation of tracking tools and benchmarking to measure and report success, and apply insights to improve strategy and impact.
- Scan the professional landscape for content and science communication trends and best practices to improve audience engagement and search engine optimization.
- Write and/or edit web content. Review materials for posting, including stories, notices, and other content.
- Develop and implement strategies to ensure online resources meet IGI's internal requirements including an intranet,
- Oversee contract and work product of web design/maintenance service provider and serve as main contact for web hosting service provider.
- Work with the Directors and staff at the partner sites to develop and implement plans for internal communications between scientists and staff.
- Develop processes that ensure the smooth flow of information across campus that are not geographically co-located.
Outreach Activities & Events
- Serve as backup for point of contact for public relations activities.
- Serve as primary point of contact for information requests, interview requests, and related.
- Manage special events including advertisement and logistics for Berkeley and multi-campus events. Special events might include groundbreakings, visits by dignitaries, and select research meetings.
- Represent IGI at planning meetings for large events ensuring that IGI is adequately marketed and that IGI interests are recognized.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications. Able to manage highly complex and sensitive projects in a highly charged environment while remaining balanced.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of technical applications to direct professional technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the organization, including its mission, vision, goals, policies, and infrastructure; strong knowledge of current affairs.
- Advanced skills to create, develop, and implement long and short term strategic communication plans.
- Advanced skills to advise and consult management on all aspects of communications, ranging from developing effective communication strategies to appropriately responding to inquiries regarding sensitive or complex issues or information.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills. Demonstrated editorial experience for both technical writing and writing for the public.
Demonstrated experience writing science for both technical reviewers and the public.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, project management, and problem recognition, and resolution skills.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn campus protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of biology, bioengineering, genomics, biomedicine, or related area.
- Communications or Journalism degree or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $83,900.00 - $150,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=3561&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |