Financial Analyst 2 - Student Affairs (7708U) 2381 - 2381
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 7, 2019
DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
The Division of Student Affairs at UC Berkeley is the gateway to all aspects of the student experience. From recruiting and enrolling; to feeding and housing; to leadership and development opportunities we put Berkeley's students first. We pride ourselves on our culture of care and the services we provide to students throughout their university journey. Our commitment to access, service, and engagement is helping to shape the lives of tomorrow's leaders.
To learn more about the culture of UC Berkeley Student Affairs, please visit http://sa.berkeley.edu/gobig/staff
For more information about the Division, please visit http://sa.berkeley.edu/we-arestudent-affairs
STUDENT AFFAIRS FINANCE DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
The mission of Student Affairs Finance is to provide accurate and timely analysis and support that clients can trust. Our value added services are forged through strategic partnerships that empower our clients in their decision making to enhance the student experience. Student Affairs has recently reorganized its Finance Department and has openings for one contract Financial Analyst. The incumbents will be a member of the Finance team and will be instrumental in the implementation of a new finance organization and finance model for Student Affairs.
We are looking for staff who embody our aspirational culture to create a great workplace where staff trust the people they work with, take pride in what they do, and feel a sense of community in support of the student experience.
Student Affairs Finance reports to the CFO for the Division of Student Affairs. It is responsible for oversight and management of financial resources for all Student Affairs client groups, which consist of 39 clustered client departments.
Student Affairs Finance is looking to hire a Financial Analyst to join our dynamic team. As a Financial Analyst, your work will be to gather, monitor, research financial information and data. You will prepare reports, and summarize financial information. The successful candidate will be able to assess, recommend, and implement changes to processes and procedures to maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and internal financial/audit policies and to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our financial reports.
This role will play an integral part in the financial reporting process with opportunities to work on various projects. The successful candidate will review financial transactions to ensure our departments have the most up to date and reliable information to help them make the best possible decisions. You will apply both technical and analytical skills to collect, monitor and analyze accounting details, as well as financial business plans. You will work in close partnership with finance colleagues and consult on financial reporting needs for the wide range of activities that make up the work of the Division of Student Affairs.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Statistics or other related field or equivalent practical work experience and/or training.
- Experience assisting with financial report generation, consolidation, and month-end close processes, including journal entries, account reconciliation, expense recognition, and revenue recognition.
- Experience assisting with finance activities, including budgeting process for quarterly, annual, long-term financial planning for headcount, operating expenses, and capital is preferred.
- Analytical, detail oriented and strong business sense; proven ability to manage new ideas and creative solutions.
- Proven skills to effectively manage multiple important and competing priorities, quickly evaluate complex issues, identify and communicate multiple options for resolution.
- Experience creating financial reports, and reporting systems.
- An understanding of basic accounting principles and GAAP. General knowledge of government regulations related to Finance would be a plus.
- Must have excellent computer skills with advanced proficiency in using Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications. Experience with database tools is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong political acumen.
- Systems experience using Hyperion Planning, and Oracle GL would be a plus.
- MBA and/or equivalent of training/experience
- Professional certification (CPA/CMA/Qualified Accounting Certificate)
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range is $28.99-$36.54/hour
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2381&PostingSeq=1