Payroll Analyst (6943U) - 8595
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 3, 2020
Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) is comprised of six (6) Regions which provide services to specific "groupings/clusters" of schools, colleges, and organized research units (5 academic, 1 all other). This regional approach to providing administrative services is intended to improve service quality by re-establishing personal connections and to develop more local expertise.
BEST serves the College of Natural Resources, the Division of Biological Sciences, and related ORUs, museums, and field stations in the biological sciences. We are extremely proud of the team we have put together and are working hard to provide faculty, staff, and students in our region with expert advice and reliable support services that foster academic and professional success.
Our aim is to build an administrative support team that is 100% committed to you. Over time, BEST team members are determined to become familiar with the unique issues, terminology, funders, sponsors, vendors, and circumstances in the biological sciences that will enable us to provide service that you'll find responsive, meaningful, and relevant.
This position's primary emphasis involves activities associated with generation of the campus payroll including labor distribution records, vacation and sick leave accrual, overtime and withholding status. It also involves activities associated with generation of the campus payroll including labor distribution records, vacation and sick leave accrual, overtime and audits of over and under payments. Additional activities associated with position involve recommending outcomes for BEST that complies with University policies and procedures for reporting requirements. The incumbent must also use HR and payroll systems (UC Path), KRONOS Timekeeping systems, and a variety of other campus timekeeping systems to provides exceptional service to meet customer needs and ensures each action is handled with confidentiality, timeliness, accuracy and sensitivity.
This position supports the BEST Team by providing Payroll services to managers and employees represented by various personnel policies and contracts. They may also be expected to formulate, write, adapt, communicate and implement new procedural standards and practices in order to comply with University policies; may serve as a team lead to junior HR staff, assigning work, and overseeing the accurate and timely completion of that work. Provides training on department and campus policies, and best practices, and handles difficult or sensitive situations. Runs and analyzes ad hoc reports and solves moderately complex payroll related problems.
- Communicates with department management the deadlines for approving timesheets.
- Analyzes reported time, ensuring compliance with bargaining unit agreements, university policies and employment laws.
- Interprets transactional and other HR policies (e.g. vacation, leave of absence, disability, payroll, workers compensation, union contracts, timekeeping government regulations, withholding exemptions, et cetera), and ensures appropriate amounts/deductions are calculated and applied to the various accounts correctly.
- Reviews CalTime timekeeping system data and adjusts as appropriate prior to electronic transmission according to the established pay cycles.
- Processes and audits timesheets.
- Uses knowledge of department organization and chart of accounts to ensure accurate pay.
- Makes entries in UCPath including leave usage and leave without pay and payroll transfers.
- Ensures compliance with applicable policies and laws regarding payroll and timekeeping.
- With little supervision, provides analysis of moderate payroll projects.
- Applies timekeeping and/or payroll concepts to perform complex analysis regarding pay processing adjustments, including retroactive pay, tax withholding, overpayments, and complex terminal pay issues
- Applies professional concepts in analyzing and reviewing department payroll actions appearing on overpayment/underpayment reports to determine processing errors.
- Analyzes complex HR processes, data, systems and resource projects working directly with the HR colleague.
- Assists departments with questions concerning eligibility, enrollment, and payment issues.
- Interprets pay policies (for example, vacation, leave of absence, disability, workers compensation, union contracts, government regulations)
- Identifies and analyzes reconciliation of payroll liability accounts.
- Provides background information to higher level Payroll Analysts for resolution.
- Conducts payroll transfers to other departments and campuses.
- Reviews and analyzes reports for discrepancies, and works with departments to make corrections.
- Conducts post-implementation analysis to determine the need for further enhancements, finer distinctions and/or additional process/policy components.
HR Policy Administration:
- Provides employees and department supervisors/managers with standard information regarding University policies, bargaining unit agreements.
- Ensures best practices are followed in department and timekeeping/Payroll procedures.
- Identifies risk and reports issues to management as appropriate.
General HR Support:
- May assist HR professionals with advanced HR processes and procedures, such as coordinating worker's compensation, FMLA, disability and other leaves of absences, administering lifecycle personnel actions such as probationary evaluations, new employee benefits enrollments, and other actions and participates in professional development.
- Skill in managing sensitive and confidential information regarding bargaining unit issues
- Attention to detail and accuracy Working knowledge of many payroll processes, policies and procedures, knowledge of or ability to learn campus-specific computer application programs. Knowledge of HR processes for data entry into timekeeping and payroll systems. Knowledge of HR processes and procedures for maintenance and purging of timekeeping and payroll files. Knowledge of benefits eligibility requirements. Possesses analytical, critical thinking, project management and problem recognition, avoidance, and resolution skills especially in the areas of timekeeping and payroll. Experience in analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of data for preparing sound and relevant proposals. Organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes. Ability to work rapidly and accurately under deadline pressure and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced, changing environment. Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience auditing timekeeping records or HRIS transactions.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn campus processes and procedures.
- Understanding of or ability to learn campus rules and regulations. Knowledge of common human capital management systems, timekeeping, payroll and HR application programs and software.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=8595&PostingSeq=1