Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website. IT.TUFTS.EDU
What You'll Do
The Sr. IT Client Support Specialist is responsible for providing high-end, expert-level Tier 2-3 frontline client support and desktop assistance for Tufts faculty, staff and students as well as advanced technology support and troubleshooting for classrooms and public, instructional, computer and research labs in a multiple building setting across three campuses and support for remote clinics (7 for the Dental School: Canton, Groton, Hogan, Springfield, Taunton, Worcester, Wrentham and 3 for Cummings Veterinary School: Walpole, Worcester, Woodstock, CT). Key responsibilities of this position include responding to a variety of support requests in-person or remotely; performing technical troubleshooting; workstation builds/rebuilds; installing operating systems; software/hardware installs; patching systems and protecting against viruses/malware; and troubleshooting peripheral and mobile devices. In addition, this position will act as escalation point and provide coaching and mentoring for IT Client Support Specialists and other colleagues; provide technical troubleshooting, training, and instructor support on a wide variety of classroom and web/video conferencing technologies; consult with departments to gain an in-depth understanding of their technology needs; provide advanced level support for complex environments (ex. research or clinical laboratories), and situations (ex. security breaches); provide ad-hoc training to the client community; and regularly create documentation to contribute to the knowledgebase. S/he will use available technical tools, such as the knowledge base, remote management suite, and a service-management database, to support their work and will often deal with a wide range of clients with varying levels of computer familiarity. This position will participate in the on-call rotation.
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• The knowledge and skills that are typically acquired through a High School diploma and 5+ years of experience in the direct delivery of IT support and network services.
• Strong technical skills in the configuration, installation, and troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows (all versions), Mac OS 8.0 and above, Microsoft Office Suite, Mozilla, email and web clients, Telnet clients, SSH clients, Antivirus software, TCP/IP, and imaging software and well as experience troubleshooting peripherals (printers, scanners) and handheld devices (mobile, tablets, PDAs).
• Proficient using remote desktop management tools, such as Ivanti/LANDesk Management Suite, Microsoft SCCM, JAMF Pro/Casper, or Bomgar, etc.
• Knowledge of desktop security and standards (security/networking).
• Knowledge of desktop encryption best practices
• Working knowledge of local area networks and network administration.
• Experience with IMAP, LDAP, Microsoft ActiveSync, Active Directory and group policies, data recovery tools, Microsoft Exchange, WINS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
• Demonstrated expert experience in two or more of the following:
o Unix/Linux installation, configuration and troubleshooting including Redhat, Ubuntu and Mandriva distributions.
o Endpoint Systems Management (e.g. LANDesk, BigFix Tivoli, Altiris, MS SCCM, Kace, etc.) software deployment and patch creation.
o Configuration, setup, and support of laboratory instrumentation and complex lab functions in a sciences/research setting.
o Significant experience implementing endpoint security processes and protocols (scanning, data gathering, forensics, incident response management).
o Virtual Desktop Infrastructure or Virtual Application technology (e.g. VMWare, Citrix).
o Successful development and delivery of a major training and documentation initiative related to technology.
o Advanced support in a clinical environment.
o Providing dedicated advanced support to large group of executive/VIP clients with specialized, non-standard technology needs.
o System and Application administration for department-level technologies (e.g. database applications, business process applications, web administration, etc.).
• This position requires that the employee provide their own mobile device capable of sending and receiving business email, text/SMS and phone calls. The employee will receive a standard rate of partial reimbursement for this expense.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver professional customer service, end user training and consultation, effective team and project work.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• MSCE, A+, Network +, CCNA, ACMT, ITIL or other industry standard certifications.
• Significant experience with IMAP, LDAP, Microsoft ActiveSync, Active Directory and group policies, data recovery tools, Microsoft Exchange, backup strategies, WINS, DHCP, DNS, and TCP/IP.
• Experience providing technical support and services to classroom and computer lab environments.
• Experience with DVD/VHS/CD components, Crestron, digital audio and video, projection systems and screens.