Customer Service Representative (4723C) 27509
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 8/20/19
Cal Recreational Sports is dedicated to enhancing the knowledge, wellness, fitness and quality of life for students, faculty, staff and the community. In addition to the 34 sport clubs and 600 intramural sports teams, the department offers a wide range of recreational activities and state of the art equipment, including a complete package of fitness activities, from individual and group classes to massage therapy and personal training.
This position resides within the Recreational Sports Customer Service Center, a consolidated sales and support unit servicing all program enrollment and sales for the Department of Recreational Sports. We are also an authorized US Government Passport Acceptance Facility. For more information, visit recsports.berkeley.edu
This position resides within the Recreational Sports Customer Service Center, a consolidated sales and support unit servicing all program enrollment and sales for the Department of Recreational Sports. The Customer Service Center Representative performs various sales transactions, computer data entry, application processes and office related duties for recreation programs. The incumbent serves as the front-line customer service representative at Recreational Sports Facility, Golden Bear Rec Center and Strawberry Canyon Facility (as needed) and is called upon to resolve issues that arise with customer complaints. Incumbent provides accurate information and answers questions regarding Department programs. This position plays a key role in providing Program managers and Directors with customer information in order to run programs more efficiently. The incumbent also serves as a US Passport Agent certified to process applications and US Government Oath.
- Membership-provide customers with information concerning Membership types, process payments for memberships and process CRC photo ID Membership Cards. Provide facility tours as needed.
- Passport- provide passport customers with application forms; answer questions, ensure customers submit complete applications and pay correct fees. Administer the passport oath to customer's and witness customer's signature on applications. Forward all applications and documents to Passport Services for further processing.
- Enrollment -set-up and maintain on-line store, web-site, program binders. Set-up and maintain waiting lists. Process camp/class/clinic enrollments, send out receipts, confirmations and program information. Generate program reports for review and use by program managers and directors. Respond to non-routine patron requests for refunds, payment issues, transfers, special requests, etc.. and work with the Customer Service Manager to resolve these issues. Assist with editing brochure and submitting changes to the department's Media/Communications Manager.
- Cashier- operate cash register, Point of Sale Program, Fusion, and on-line sales. Process cash, check and/or charge payments. Adhere strictly to University Cash Handling Policy's. Reconcile and balance cash in preparation for deposit.
- Appointment Services-assist patrons in the use of the on-line scheduling systems. Schedule appointments as needed.
- Rec Programs - have a thorough knowledge of all Recreational Sports Department programs and provide accurate information and referrals to customers and members.
- Facilities-have a working knowledge of all recreation facilities and program assignments, as well as program schedules and use of EMS Master Calendar to search scheduling detail.
- Serve as a point person for a critical area such as Passports, Enrollments (i.e. CYOP Camp, FitWELL, CalAdv), CalStar, Appointment Services, CRC Membership.
- Phone - answer promptly using standard department salutation.
- Email - answer e-mail correspondence within 24 hours.
- Assist walk-up patrons - prioritize walk up customer needs over phone and email.
- Problem-solve - customer and program issues that impact sales and registration.
- Adhere to unit dress guidelines of business casual dress attire.
- As the front-line representative for all program and membership questions, this position plays a key role in sales and customer relations.
- Data entry - process program and project information, both routine and by special request, into database systems.
- Photos and membership cards - process passport photos and new/replacement membership cards using electronic imaging equipment.
- Refunds - prepare forms and reports for final signatures and processing.
- Reports - generate routine and special request reports as assigned.
- Service requests - submit purchasing, maintenance, and computer requests per department protocol and procedures.
- Work a flex schedule to meet customer flow and demand; seasonal peak periods.
- Open & close office. Maintain a clean and orderly work area. Maintain necessary supplies and forms/brochures. Inform Customer Service Manager when supplies are needed.
- Provide program information to other guest services units (Locker Rooms, Hearst Service desk, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned by Rec Operations and Customer Service Center manager
- Maintain annual certification as US Passport Representative.
- Assist with training student cashiers on the operations at two satellite locations, the Golden Bear Recreation Center & Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area.
- Familiarity with adult, youth, and outdoor program clientele and environment.
- Must have knowledge in computer skills including MicroSoft Word, Excel, Filemaker Pro, Fusion; passport processing; intranet; basic accounting skills (to compute discounts)
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing, ability to multi task, ability to accomplish work tasks in a stressful and fast-paced environment.
Licenses or certifications:
- Must qualify to receive certification from the Regional Passport Agency and maintain annual certification for US Passport Representative.
Salary & Benefits
- Department and University policies regarding all recreation program and sales transaction related procedures and processes.
Commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27509&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1