Plans, organizes and directs strategic communications, marketing, and outreach for the community college district. Plans, develops strategies, manages, and advocates for the District with internal and external relations, media relations, community outreach, and the marketing of services. Serves the Chancellor and Board of Trustees as the public information and media communications professional and advisor. Serves as spokesperson for the District and as executive director for the Coast Community College District Foundation.
Distinguishing Career Features:
The Director, Public Affairs and Marketing, is responsible for directing, coordinating, facilitating, and accomplishing the District's community relations and public information goals and strategies. The Director is also responsible for integrating outreach and communications efforts to reach the public, other government agencies, and the media. The position requires considerable skill and considerable experience at mobilizing and managing district-wide efforts to support and advocate priorities established by the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees. The Director is a member of the Chancellor's Cabinet and crisis communication team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, facilitates, and develops comprehensive communications strategies and programs and manages internal and external communications.
* Plans, organizes, and directs the work of Public Affairs and Marketing, directing and coordinating staff and services to keep the District and its colleges engaged with the community, businesses, and local governments; and proactively addresses public affairs and information.
* Advises the Chancellor and other administrators on issues related to communications (e.g., internal communications, external communications, marketing, traditional and new media relations, and constituency correspondence) by producing, writing, editing, and preparing information and materials for public consumption.
* Assists and advises in communications on sensitive public issues in order to appropriately position the District with the media and general public.
* Directs public information and media relations activities, including personal contact with media, preparation and distribution of press releases and other written communications, and providing appropriate responses to media inquiries.
* Directs the preparation and review of communication materials that interpret the District to its internal and external publics. Coordinates information gathering from across the district and its colleges for use in preparation of news releases, and other materials, including fact sheets, brochures, articles, reports, advertising, social media, and video.
* Directs District-wide marketing efforts, including the development and production of a wide variety of communications and informational resources and materials, including the Web site, fact sheets, brochures, articles, reports, advertising initiatives, social media tools, and other digital media products.
* Serves as a first point of media contact for occurrences and incidents. Works in collaboration with District Public Safety personnel to communicate with the public in a way that conveys positive messages.
* Serves as the executive director of the District Foundation. Oversees planning, preparation of agendas and minutes, and supports Foundation board members in their role.
* Plans, organizes, and directs events that support the role of the District, District Office, and District Foundation.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.