Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Cook (5522C) -
University of California, Berkeley
Cook (5522C) -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 11, 2019
Year-round, Events & Conferences is responsible for selling various catering and event coordination services to the campus and external clients. This department is also responsible for selling venue spaces at Clark Kerr Conference Center, California Memorial Stadium, as well as coordinating event logistics such as audio-visual, parking, rentals, etc.
- Prepare assigned menu items following complex department recipes and production sheets for meal periods, including entrees, side dishes, accompaniments, soups, breads, desserts, etc., following the standard HACCP principles of food preparation, safety, and sanitation in food production and service.
- Follow rules and policies for organic certification.
- Merchandise food including garnishing for serving line presentation.
- Participate in ongoing customer service programs which includes just in time cooking, demonstration cooking and interaction with customers.
- Responsible for majority of entrees.
- Prepare custom orders and assists with catering and catered events as needed.
- Prepare food from scratch independently for multiple cycle menus.
- Make recommendations to Manager or Sous Chef on problem recipes.
- Complete service records at end of meal period.
- Track and record food waste and donations.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Decide re-use values for food, following HACCP guidelines.
- Distribute prepared food at correct temperatures prior to service for specified meals to designated serving areas.
- Batch cooks food items as appropriate for organic and standard menu.
- Frequently check service line to ensure quality control and HACCP standards are met.
- Store products to maximize quality.
- Store leftover food properly and with Manager and/or Sous Chef plan usage.
- Prepare and date food samples taken from service.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers.
- Listen, and if possible, resolve customers' needs and report them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Prevents cross-contamination - the transfer of pathogens (any agent that can cause disease) from one surface or food to another.
- Be aware of potential allergens - any substance that induces an allergy such as dairy, wheat, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish, and nuts.
- Be ready to answer questions about a dish that may contain an allergen.
- Make sure allergen is not transferred from one surface or food to another surface or food not containing the allergen - follow recipes and no secret ingredients.
Safety and Sanitation:
- Safely operate and maintain all following equipment used in food production and service, including: mixer, food processor, ovens, steamers, fryers, grills, warmers, skillets, kettles, knives and utensils, wok, broiler, etc.
- Identifies problems with equipment.
- Ensure the cleanliness, safety, and sanitation of designated storage and work areas, large and small equipment and utensils used in food production.
Direction and Training:
- Assume a leadership role in the kitchen, instructing and directing kitchen staff.
- Train other staff on how to safely operate and maintain equipment.
- Promote position customer relations by acting in a professional manner at all times.
- Occasionally interact with customers, explain menu variety and cooking questions.
- Oversee and coordinate production operation and production staff to meet operation deadlines.
- Train, instruct, and direct staff on: how to safely operate and maintain equipment, service (i.e. presentation, plating, portion control), quality control, and demonstration cooking.
- With Sous Cook and/or Executive Chef, plan own production schedule.
- Provide oversight and mentoring of food service workers and student staff.
- May open or close the operation in manager's absence utilizing opening/closing check list.
- Experience in food preparation and general maintenance in a kitchen.
- Ability to work independently and to prepare multiple menu items for a meal.
- Ability to successfully perform demonstration cooking and to prepare quality baked products.
- Experience directing other staff.
- Ability to read, write, perform basic arithmetic, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to follow recipes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food safety and sanitation.
- Proven organizational skills.
- Ability to complete service records accurately at the conclusion of a meal.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lb.
- 5 years' experience in large volume production or similar experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
- Experience in large volume production.
- Experience leading a production staff.
- ServSafe or Food Service Handler Certification.
The position is non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This is a partial-year career position with a furlough.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26980&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |