Research Data & Computing Architect (0531U) 27493 - 1043
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
D-Lab helps Berkeley faculty, staff, and graduate students move forward with world-class research in data intensive social science. We think of data as an expansive category, one that is constantly changing as the research frontier moves. We offer a venue for methodological exchange from all corners of campus and across its bounds.
D-Lab provides cross-disciplinary resources for in-depth consulting and advising, access to staff support, and training and provisioning for software and other infrastructure needs. Networking with other Berkeley centers and facilities and with our departments and schools, we offer our services to researchers across the disciplines and underwrite the breadth of excellence of Berkeley's graduate programs and faculty research. D-Lab builds networks through which Berkeley researchers can connect with users of social science data in the off-campus world.
- Applies advanced IT architecture concepts to function as the highest level technical expert high performance computing for research, cloud computing, research applications in higher education, data management infrastructure, software and data service design (APIs) and delivery infrastructure (SOA), software development methodology, and software deployment management tools.
- Initiates, designs and deploys large systems.
- Responsible for providing analysis on highly complex issues that impact design of future concepts, products or technologies.
- Often serves as consultant to management, and to faculty researchers.
- Designs highly complex user system interfaces and research application prototypes.
- Works independently designing and developing new systems or major enhancements to existing programs.
- May lead or provide technical guidance to a large development team in the design of highly complex systems.
- Responsible for performing highly complex feasibility analysis on potential future projects to management.
- Advises on selection of technological purchases with regards to processing, data storage, data access, and applications development.
- MPI, parallel filesystems, and related HPC tools
- SQL and NoSQL database models and tools
- AWS APIs, pricing models, and associated software and storage best practices
- VM tools such as Vagrant, VirtualBox, and LXC
- Puppet, Ansible, and related deployment management tools and best practices
- Java, Python, R and simple text processing tools (sed, etc).
- GIT, SVN
- Must have expertise relating to the design and development of research applications across a University organization.
- Must have exposure to the challenges of research IT across a range of domains, including Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy/Astrophysics, Geography (Climate Research), Computer Science, Social Sciences, and the Humanities.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of virtual machine image management tools and techniques.
- Requires knowledge of research IT methodologies and practices.
- Knowledge of campus-wide processes and procedures.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Must have experience working with faculty and graduate student researchers.
- Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Translates research needs into long-term architecture solutions.
- Has ability to interface with management and faculty leadership on a regular basis.
- Must be self motivated, work independently and as part of a team, able to learn quickly, meet deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Requires advanced skills in web applications, web programming language and object oriented programming concepts.
- Requires advanced knowledge of network protocols, how they are used on a large (campus-wide or beyond) network, and how these support research data management.
- Requires expert knowledge of data storage, processing, analysis, and visualization technologies and how they are used in research and academic endeavors at a large, top-tier research university.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Berkeley Data Analytics Stack (BDAS)
Salary & Benefits
This position is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1043&PostingSeq=1