As Executive Assistant to the Dean you will provide high-level administrative and confidential assistance to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. You will be expected to work with a great deal of initiative and autonomy in the following responsibilities:
- Oversee and supervise all direct administrative assistance to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences including serving as supervisor of record to classified and administrative staff directly supporting the Dean and Senior Leadership in the College. As supervisor, help to set priorities and provide clarity.
- Serve as point person for all Senior Leadership in the College to manage day-to-day logistics for the Dean. Serve as secondary point of contact for the Dean (after Dean’s Secretary) to manage the Dean’s schedule and travel arrangements. In Secretary’s absence may screen calls and visitors.
- Review Dean’s schedule regularly to prioritize and optimize the Dean’s time. Ensure that the appropriate participants are included in meetings and that the Dean is fully prepared and briefed for all meetings and events.
- Meet regularly (generally daily) with Dean to brief her on important issues and plan time and effort for both Dean and Executive Assistant. Serve as primary contact to handle urgent and non-scheduled issues that arise (generally daily). Anticipate and independently solve problems as they come up and/or determine strategies to avoid problems whenever possible. Use judgment to determine what needs to rise to the Dean’s attention and what can be resolved at other levels.
- Triage Dean’s emails in order to ensure that the appropriate parties are apprised of information for which they may need to take action or be aware of. Make the Dean aware of priority items so that she may respond and/or take action. As needed draft responses for the Dean.
- Attend weekly Dean’s Cabinet meetings; solicit and distribute agenda items, record and distribute minutes; track and manage action items resulting from Cabinet discussions. Keep the Dean informed on progress, outcomes and issues for further action or discussion.
- Attend monthly Chairs and Directors meeting; solicit agenda items from dean’s office leadership. Coordinate attendance of guest speakers securing any technology needs and presentation materials they will share; create presentation material using existing template and materials provided by presenters. Work with Secretary to coordinate meeting locations and communicate schedule of meetings to attendees.
- Work with dean’s office staff to schedule, plan and execute bi-annual department review meetings with all department chairs. Attend these meetings and track and report all action items; providing follow up as needed. Coordinate annual new chair on-boarding sessions including scheduling sessions; communicating with session presenters on content and timing, and communicating with chairs and directors on the schedule and location of these sessions.
- Maintain Dean’s Office procurement cards for purchases (supplies, travel, registrations, etc.) ensuring the proper funding source for these transactions. Document and reconcile these cards on a monthly basis. This includes any procurement cards which the Dean may hold. Ensure all transactions are made in accordance with University policy.
- Work with Dean’s office leadership and Advancement office on semi-annual Dean’s Advisory Council meetings. Attend briefing meetings to help identify and develop presentation materials.
- Provide support to Dean and Associate Deans for special projects including planning and other efforts from University leadership. Act as liaison as needed on college-wide projects with University leadership. Assist Dean with administration of special projects. This may include preparing project and/or presentation materials.
- Work closely with Communications and Marketing team as needed on College communications efforts, Dean’s communications, and recruitment and commencement presentations. Respond to or draft responses to general inquiries or requests addressed to the Dean.
The professional obligation for this position will require you to work outside of normal business hours (some evenings and weekends). Limited local/regional travel with or on behalf of the Dean will also be a requirement of this position.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Bachelor’s degree required. Administrative management experience. Absolutely required are superior written and oral communication skills (finalist candidates will be asked to furnish writing samples) and strong computer skills. Incumbent must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and respond with tact and diplomacy in high pressure or sensitive situations. Must be able to manage competing priorities, display flexibility and initiative, and work with a diverse constituency in a fast-paced environment.
Master’s or advanced degree preferred. Prior experience at a large research university center, preferably at the University at Buffalo (UB). Familiarity with UB policies and procedures.