Financial Analyst 2 - Student Affairs (7708U) 25104
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The mission of Student Affairs Finance is to provide accurate and timely analysis and support that clients can trust. Our value added services are forged through strategic partnerships that empower our clients in their decision making to enhance the student experience. The incumbent will be a member of the Finance team and will be instrumental to the growth and development of the team by supporting ongoing operations.
We are looking for staff who embody our aspirational culture to create a great workplace where staff trust the people they work with, take pride in what they do, and feel a sense of community in support of the student experience.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 22, 2021
Uses professional concepts. Applies organizational policies and procedures to resolve various issues. Works on problems of limited to moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of multiple factors. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Contacts are primarily internal to the department, but may also be external.
- Prepares basic financial and resource reports and / or analysis for internal department constituents. Examples include periodic financial reports, staff / faculty salary budgets, contracts, grants, gifts, endowments, or user fees. Financial and / or resource analysis could include budgetary analysis, financial analysis, forecasts, projections, staff or faculty salary or FTE analysis, student enrollment analysis, recharge or general rate analysis (parking rates, copier rates, capital project rates, student health charges) student fees (self-supporting programs, professional school fees, course material fees, etc.) contracts and grants analysis, endowment income, fungibility of funds, working capital, depreciation, new building funds, etc.
- Applies professional concepts to perform basic financial or resource analysis to understand past performance and determine present and future performance and / or resource allocations.
- Gathers and analyzes financial and / or resource data; prepares and summarizes information and / or recommendations.
- Under general supervision, provides analytical support for simple to moderate budget, financial, or resource analysis projects.
- Applies financial concepts to process, review, and approve financial transactions.
- 3-5 years of direct, progress growth in financial planning and analysis experience.
- Ability to gather reasonably retrievable information to organize, and perform basic financial analysis assignments.
- Demonstrated ability using spreadsheet and database software for moderately complex financial analysis, fiscal management, and financial reports. MS Office, Oracle, Google Suite experience preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills at all levels within the unit; excellent service orientation and critical thinking skills; and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability using organizational skills to multi-task in a high volume environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to function as a member of a team.
- Intermediate knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting University resources.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Working knowledge of finance policies, practices, and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information verbally and in writing clearly and concisely.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Advanced degree preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, hourly (non-exempt) career position. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience with a range up to $39.46/hour. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=25104&PostingSeq=1