The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 26, 2019
Berkeley Law is one of the nation’s premier law schools, located at one of the world’s great universities, in one of the most vibrant places on the planet. As one of 14 schools and colleges at the University of California, Berkeley, it is consistently ranked as one of the top law schools in the nation.
The law school has produced leaders in law, government, and society, including Chief Justice of the United States Earl Warren, Secretary of State of the United States Dean Rusk, American civil rights activist Pauli Murray, California Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso, president and founder of the Equal Justice Society Eva Paterson, United States Northern District of California Judge Thelton Henderson, and Attorney General of the United States Edwin Meese.
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION FOR STUDENT SERVICES:
- Provides front-line customer service and answers inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and the general public
- Maintains calendar for Dean of Students.
- Functions effectively with frequent interruptions in a busy environment while maintaining a pleasant and respectful demeanor and providing attention to detail.
- Assists with a variety of correspondence to students.
- Maintains lost & found items, schedules collection of remaining items by Goodwill or other organizations.
- Works with Student Association of Berkeley Law (SABL) on various issues, including working closely with the Treasurer to facilitate the reimbursement of students.
- Calendars and coordinates various larger meetings with students and faculty for the Dean of Students.
- Orders all supplies for the office.
EVENT PLANNING AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Plays an essential role in planning student orientations, as well as the annual commencement ceremony.
- Has the lead in planning the logistics of other Student Services events throughout the academic year.
- Plans the fall Student Activities Fair.
- Plays an essential role in planning Admitted Students Weekend events.
- Produces the yearly Berkeley Law Facebook, which includes all students’ photos taken at orientation.
- Publicizes Student Services events throughout the year.
- Oversees the production of the Berkeley Law Planner.
- Compiles materials for various programs and awards.
- Plans and oversees exam breakfasts for students.
ACCOUNTING AND BUDGET ADMINISTRATION:
- Oversee the process for funding student activities.
- Explains funding applications to students, collects such applications and follows up as needed.
- Explains reimbursement process to students and reviews submitted documents for accuracy.
- Maintains an office budget and account tracking system following procedures established by the campus, the law school Business Office and the law school CFO.
- Works closely with the law school’s business office to master financial transactions and utilize the campus online enterprise systems including BearBuy, Connexxus, and other customized tools and job aids developed by the Business Office.
- Works on other administrative duties as assigned.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service when interacting with a diverse community and the general public.
- Ability to make recommendations for business process improvements and handle complaints and requests in a professional and calm manner.
- Ability to effectively organize and execute numerous projects with interruptions in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize calendars and address competing priorities.
- Professional appearance and the ability to maintain decorum and a high degree of quality communication between the various constituents served.
- Proficiency, speed, and accuracy in utilizing computer software programs for word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), internet, and other basic software applications.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and pay close attention to details, with a goal of achieving high quality outcomes and 100 percent accuracy.
- Solid written/oral communication skills and an ability to understand a broad range of information about the organization and give information about the same over the phone and in person.
- Ability to prioritize work effectively; exercise appropriate initiative; demonstrate proper perseverance and follow through; and display sound judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and be an effective team-oriented member of the unit.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience is preferred.
- Prior experience in student services is strongly preferred.
- Prior event planning experience is preferred.
- Specialized knowledge of University policies and campus procedures preferred.
- Pro-active, self-starter working style is preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay will be commensurate with experience within the Union negotiated range of $27.12 – $28.34 / Steps 6.0 – 8.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.