Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Senior Custodian (5116C)
University of California, Berkeley
Senior Custodian (5116C) -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 15, 2019
Year-round, Events & Conferences is responsible for selling various catering and event coordination services to the campus and external clients. This department is also responsible for selling venue spaces at Clark Kerr Conference Center, California Memorial Stadium, as well as coordinating event logistics such as audio-visual, parking, rentals, etc.
This position is part of the Housing, Events and Facilities unit in RSSP which manages over 3 million square feet across 150 buildings, houses over 10,000 residents (including undergraduate/graduate students, faculty and staff.) The unit is also responsible for the oversight of campus Recreational Sports facilities operations (centers, pools, fields, marina space, etc) adding in 300,000 square feet. H & FS provides clean, safe, code compliant facilities, efficient response to concerns, a high quality experience and focus on customer service. New net revenue generation is a critical responsibility for this unit which is achieved through innovation, reputation, service delivery and client experience.
During the summer months when the housing facilities are vacant, this department is responsible for filling the beds in the residential complexes (approximately 6,800 bed spaces) with a variety of programs, events, and meetings to utilize the space/services as well as generate revenue that assists with the overall financial well-being of the department. The sales team operates as a one stop shop for guests by selling affordable accommodations, dining services, catering services, meeting space and computer labs to groups. In addition, this unit is responsible for coordinating conference activities and billing for all services provided.
- Appropriately disposes trash, compost, recyclables and other garbage from all dining service areas, cleans containers, trash collection areas and loading dock. Hoses out garbage rooms in units that have garbage rooms as needed.
- Sweeps, strips, mops, buffs, waxes and vacuums floors in laundry room, kitchen, dish room, serving line, offices, bathrooms, storerooms and docks.
- Cleans and maintains supplies in all dining service bathrooms.
- Cleans walls, baseboards, mats, drains and vents in kitchen and serving line.
- Cleans glass windows and doors. Cleans entryways and service lines. Spot cleans carpets.
- Washes pots, pans and utensils; puts clean items away. Washes steam jacketed kettles.
- Operates and maintains pot washing machine, floor scrubber, buffer, water vacuum, vacuum cleaner, steam jacketed kettles, dish machine, portable steam cleaner, mops and brooms
- Cleans equipment: refrigerators, dish machine, trayveyor, kettles and pots.
- Works and directs staff in dish room and pot-washing areas.
- Power washes carts, docks, trayveyor and dish room.
- Assists in cleaning all food service equipment on a regular basis.
- Safely uses cleaning chemicals.
- Provide customer service before and during meal periods to ensure availability to meet customer demand, including the following:
- Maintains service and dining areas during meals periods.
- Cleans up spills, keeps floors clear of debris, removes trash.
- Maintains supplies of milk, soda syrup, CO2 and ice.
- Responsible for table and chair set up in dining rooms.
- Establish and maintain positive relations with our customers. Listen, and if possible resolves customers' needs and reports them to the manager and/or supervisor.
- Interact enthusiastically and pleasantly with customers and co-workers to ensure a positive interaction and outcome in every interaction.
- Responsible for practicing good stewardship with university and customer resources.
- Completes daily, weekly and special projects.
- Assists in maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Assists in identifying and solving cleaning and safety problems.
- Puts away deliveries.
- Breaks down cardboard boxes as needed.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions
Salary & Benefits
- Experience maintaining cleanliness and sanitation in a high volume kitchen/dining area.
- Custodial cleaning operation experience, including experience in use of custodial equipment such as buffers and floor machines, power washers, blowers, and vacuum cleaners.
- Knowledge of chemicals used in cleaning.
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures.
- Knowledge of healthy and safe work practices, personal protective equipment (PPEs), and MSDS sheets.
- Experience following directions related to job responsibilities and sanitation requirements
- Excellent customer service skills, which include ability to take customer requests in customer-friendly manner and follow through.
- Must have basic English skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) and math skills related to the safe and efficient performance of the job.
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation
- Basic skill to evaluate, trouble-shoot inquiries, establish priorities, follow plans and complete goals/objectives.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs
Step 1.0; Hourly: 18.87
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26478&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |