Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Summer Temporary Custodian, Family Housing (5116C) 50663
University of California, Berkeley
Summer Temporary Custodian, Family Housing (5116C) 50663
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
Residential and Student Services Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of RSSP. RSSP provides residential student housing, family housing, residential life programs, facilities services (maintenance/design, custodial, desk operations) self-operated dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, as well as child care services for students, faculty, and staff. RSSP also conducts a year-round conference business, operates seven campus restaurants, and manages several faculty apartments.
Apartment Cleaning Duties (Kitchen):
- Clean all interior surfaces including, but not limited to: appliances and components, ovens, stovetop, range-hood, sinks, counters, cabinets, shelving, walls, ceilings, doors/doors frames, baseboards, sliding doors, door's track, windows/window's sills, track and blinds.
- Replace range hood filters, Self-Cleaning Oven magnets, stove and refrigerators parts as necessary.
- Sweep, Strip, Seal, and Wax, kitchen floors and (other areas as needed).
- Vacuum and remove cobwebs in water heater and furnace closet.
- Remove flyers and debris, sweep and power wash main entrance, patios and balconies as necessary.
- Remove and wash light fixtures, and replace light bulbs. Scrub and clean counter grouts as needed.
Apartment Cleaning Duties (Bathrooms):
- Clean toilet, bathtub, shower's walls, sink, medicine cabinet, shower head, light fixture covers/lenses, windows' screens and sills, exhaust fan and grills, mirrors, outlet and switch plates, door's frames and surface.
- Clean bathroom floor and grout.
- Replace shower curtain, hooks, and toilet and shower decals.
Apartment Cleaning Duties (General):
- Vacuum carpet, and baseboards, steam, spot clean carpet.
- Remove cobwebs and dust from walls, baseboards.
- Remove mildew and mold as needed from room interiors, windows, carpet, walls, and around bathtub.
- Clean central heater vent grill and replace filter as needed.
- Remove abandoned property, debris and trash from interior apartments, storage lockers, and exterior apartment areas (balconies, patios, breezeways, stairwells).
- Wash walls, doors, and windows.
- Move heavy cleaning equipment and supplies up 75 pounds to various work sites, as needed.
- Load, unload, and wash stove parts from hot tank parts cleaner.
Apartment Cleaning Duties (Exteriors):
- Apartment entries: Clean doors and frames. Remove decals and adhesives on siding. Remove dirt, stains, cobwebs, graffiti, chalk marks. Sweep and remove trash from sidewalk entrances and exterior stairways. Clean light fixtures.
- Apartment rear areas/patios/balconies: Wipe down exterior wall areas. Sweep overhead balcony joist framing above patios. Clean sliding door exterior and track. Sweep/clean/remove cobwebs on picket fence and railings, patios and balconies. Remove trash from immediate building areas.
- Inside and outside stairwells: Sweep and power wash landings stairs, and hallways.
- Clean doors and frames on interiors and exteriors.
- Remove wall and floor stains, drawings, posters, cobwebs, trash, etc
- Vacuum, spot remove, and steam clean common hallway carpets, clean walls, remove cobwebs, clean windows and door glass, sweep entrances and stairs; remove nuisance items.
- Sweep or use blower around trash /recycling bins, stairs and parking areas as necessary.
- Remove recycling and clean around mailbox areas and wipe off mailbox top.
Laundries, Mail Area Interiors & Exteriors
- Clean all exterior windows, sills and frames.
- Wipe down siding, wash walls, remove graffiti, cobwebs, chalk drawings, and flyers, ads, posters.
- Clean doors and frames on the exteriors and interiors; sweep entry overhead framing. Sweep walkway entrances and mail area. Wipe down mailboxes, remove unauthorized flyers and junk mail.
- Remove dryer lint from exterior vent and immediate area.
- Clean light fixtures and lenses.
- Collect and discard trash, change liners; sweep and mop floors, wipe off counters, move abandoned items and deposit in recycling bins; remove cobwebs from walls, ceiling and corners. Sweep entrances and shake area rugs.
- Report broken washers and dryers to office.
- Clean door entrances, frames, and awnings.
- Remove cobwebs and wipe off around light fixtures and under door awnings.
- Wipe off, and clean siding dirt, stains, cobwebs, chalk drawings/ crayons marks.
- Remove any decals, and adhesive on siding.
- Sweep/vacuum or wipe off sidewalk entrance, hallways, under stairs, wipe off landing stairs and baseboards.
- Power Wash concrete areas, adjacent stairs.
- Remove/discard trash, debris or any nuisance items, recycle abandoned clothes, and any signs that have been posted on walls or polls. Collect recycling and deposit in the respective bins.
Other interior and exterior buildings/common areas as assigned, including but not limited to:
- Academic & Study Centers, office buildings, Community Center, CDFs, APP Bay gym, ECEP, etc: Vacuum, steam clean, and spot remove carpet, and areas rugs, sweep, mop, strip, seal, wax, and burnish floors, dust furniture, wipe off windows, walls, baseboards, doors, computers, and file cabinets, collect/ remove trash and recycle, change liners, clean restrooms and kitchen. Refill paper towel, tissues, safeguard covers and hand soap, dispensers, sweep entrances.
- Clean all ECEP (Early Childhood Education Programs) classrooms and all-purpose room: Collect and discard trash and recycling, clean and disinfect toilets/sinks, sweep and mop floors, vacuum carpet, shake and drain mats, wipe off walls, baseboards, glass doors, door knobs, and tables. Check and re-fill hand sanitizers.
- Custodial cleaning operation experience, including experience in use of custodial equipment such as buffers and floor machines, power washers, blowers, and vacuum cleaners.
- Knowledge of cleaning products and methods used to maintain different types of floor surfaces (tile, wood, cement, carpet). Burnish, strip, seal, and wax; carpet extraction, shampoo, dry clean.
- Knowledge and understanding of healthy and safe work practices, personal protective equipment (PPEs), and MSDS sheets.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lb. and move up to 100 lb.
- Ability to learn and practice security procedures related to unlocking/locking/securing of buildings and keys.
- Basic English skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking), including ability to read documents, MSDS and warning labels in English.
- Able to communicate clearly in English with peers and staff in person, phone and radio.
- Ability to comprehend technical and safety documentation and follow oral and written instructions related to the use of position-related equipment, tools, and the safe use of chemicals.
- Ability to gain basic understanding/knowledge of University environment, mission, and operational needs.
- Ability to work with minimum of supervision in isolated areas, or in a building with heavy customer traffic. Ability to work with multiple competing demands, under pressure, with minimal direction.
- Basic skill to evaluate, trouble-shoot inquiries, establish priorities, follow plans and complete goals/objectives.
- Ability to maintain respectful, civil, professional, and customer-friendly behavior.
- Ability to provide professional and quality customer service with a diverse clientele.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Knowledge of the use of "green products".
- Knowledge and training of chemical safety.
- Ability to work with repetitive motion.
- Ability to organize and manage custodial supplies.
- Basic equipment maintenance skills.
- High School Diploma or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of work experience in custodial services.
- Requires advanced knowledge of methods, equipment and chemical used in performing professional custodial services work.
- 3-5 years of work experience in custodial services, preferably in college/universities.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 5 month non-exempt temporary position at 100% (40 hrs a week). This position is paid hourly.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $21.24 (Step 1) - $24.42 (Step 8).
How to Apply
- To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/sx/index.html
- This is not a visa opportunity.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=50663&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |