Sous Chef (5230U), Cal Dining 20393
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: July 14, 2021
At Cal Dining, we believe that breaking bread together is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
- Assist unit executive chef and managers in activities of staff whom operation and maintain kitchens for in-house service of customers.
- Performs audits to ensure compliance with food prep, quality control standards as well as safety/security standards related to handling and preparation of food.
- Manage special menu requests as needed based on specific dietary needs.
- Manager menu production for catering and other special events as needed.
- Prepares assigned menu items following department recipes in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Adjust production levels to meet service needs.
- Follows Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points principles of food preparation, safety and sanitation at all times.
- Ensures quality control and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points are met and adhered to during food production and service.
- Ensures allergen guidelines are followed during production and service.
DIRECTING AND TRAINING
- Oversees kitchen staff and ensures all food service health, safety, nutritional, recipe, policies and guidelines are adhered to at all times.
- May be responsible for shift supervision, leading and directing all scheduled staff and services for a specific meal period.
- Provide assignments to production and service staff as needed and recommends performance ratings for production staff to management.
SAFETY AND SANITATION
- Able to identify and resolve a wide range of quality assurance issues in creative and imaginative ways.
- Safely operates and maintains the following equipment used in food production and service: mixer, food chopper, ovens, steamers, fryers, grills, thermotainers, can opener, steam jacketed kettles, knives and utensils.
- Ensures the cleanliness, safety, and sanitation of designated storage and work areas; large and small equipment and utensils used in food production.
- With Chef Manager, plans work schedules to meet production demands. Executes ordering standards and timelines assigned by unit executive chef.
- Provides health and safety training, guidance on safe work practices, provides proper equipment, observes work practices and correct methods, and investigates accidents. Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of food and production.
- Requires verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management.
- Requires decision making, reasoning, and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, operations analysis, quality control analysis and effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to all levels of personnel.
- Computer applications skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent experience.
- Culinary Degree.
- Servesafe Certification.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid position. Hourly pay range is $20.21- $23.26 commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20393&PostingSeq=1