Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Continuity Planner, UC Police (7146U) 11257
University of California, Berkeley
Continuity Planner, UC Police (7146U) 11257
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 10/5/2020
The University of California Police Department provides a full range of law enforcement services in support of the academic and public service missions of the University of California, serving a diverse community of more than 43,000 students and 14,000 faculty & staff in the vibrant City of Berkeley, at the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition to the traditional role of a police department, we also carry out a variety of proactive educational, outreach and crime prevention programs. We pride ourselves in a professional and high-quality delivery of service, which we provide with sensitivity to the unique concerns of the University community.
At the Berkeley campus, we employ approximately 62 sworn peace officers, 70 full time civilian employees and 60 part-time students. We are interested in ethical, intelligent, creative and motivated candidates who possess the desire and talent required to address the unique challenges of our urban campus environment. We offer a wide variety of assignments and a public service experience unlike any other agency.
The Continuity Planner works with campus departments to
- Guide, instruct, motivate, assist, and facilitate the continuity planning activities of all departments.
- Assist departments to create, review, update, and fulfill departmental continuity plans.
- Track progress, create reports, and coordinate readiness efforts throughout the campus.
Key Responsibilities include:
Develops, implements, and monitors campus activities related to Business Resumption and Mission Continuity.
Performs outreach consulting, and collaboration:
- Maintains current, up-to-date knowledge and understanding of Continuity Planning best practices in the following areas: Information Technology (IT), disaster communications, and Business Impact Analysis (BIA).
- Conducts education sessions for UC Ready Continuity Leads.
- Promotes the completion of action items by departments.
- Negotiates complex solutions with departments, and among departments.
- Assists departments to identify & analyze their critical functions.
- Identifies relationships and dependencies among departments.
Performs technical work related to Continuity Planning:
- Promotes a culture of disaster preparedness and readiness in all sectors of the campus on specific disaster preparedness and continuity planning programs and projects, such as pandemic planning, HR preparedness, research preparedness, campus-wide disaster drills, IT preparedness projects, post-disaster analyses, etc.
- Consults with, and coaches departmental leadership and planning teams as they operate.
- Performs outreach, education, and marketing to deans, directors, chairs, and all levels of campus management.
- Gives presentations to these groups and leads discussions.
- Advises campuses and departmental leadership on all matters relating to the continuity of UCB's teaching, research, and public service.
- Implement Business Impact Analysis process.
- Coaches clients in use of UC Ready platform, and troubleshoots client problems with tool.
- Advises clients in the selection and use of technologies and services for the backup and safeguarding of documents, records, data, and applications.
Designs new components for and/or recommends improvements to existing processes and procedures.
- Plans, designs, and executes continuity planning and response training for departmental personnel including but not limited to UC Ready plan testing
- Assists with planning, developing, and executing of campus drills and exercises.
- Evaluates the efficacy of training and exercises and assist in the development of corrective action plans to address planning gaps and response deficiencies.
Monitors compliance with fulfillment of UC Ready planning requirement for campus units:
- Gauges the effectiveness of outreach, education, and participation in terms of the UC Ready program; adjust efforts based on feedback from unit plan coordinators and rate of UC Ready plan completion.
- Conducts post-implementation analysis to measure the effectiveness of programs and processes, and quality of planning efforts.
- Improves OEM by providing data, analysis, and advice to the Manager of OEM on all programs, functions, activities, and processes of OEM, for the purpose of better achieving OEM's goals and objectives.
Within specific field maintains knowledge/expertise on existing/proposed changes in all regulations; interprets and applies relevant laws, regulations, codes and standards, including making recommendations for work environment changes based on interpretations and principles of professional practices. Creates and adjusts methodologies to standards set out but not limited to NFPA. 1600.
- Tracks progress and compiles metrics as requested
- Reviews completed departmental continuity plans, and provides feedback to departments on how to improve their plans.
- Reports to campus division heads regarding their division units' compliance with UC Ready requirement.
Works on professional committees and assignments, participates in professional training and attends relevant conferences, and/or is mentored or coached on a formal or informal basis.
Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to:
In emergencies, the position will be the Recovery and Continuity Coordinator in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). Assists with activation, direction and coordination of the Emergency Operations Center, including coordinating Mutual Aid with outside agencies, providing status reports to Chancellor and Executive Policy Group, County of Alameda and State of California, and de-activation of EOC and transition to recovery phase.
- Thorough and demonstrated knowledge and work experience in the fields of business resumption, mission continuity and emergency management.
- Thorough knowledge and skill in applying and interpreting applicable local, state, and federal regulations and related standards and guidelines.
- Substantial experience in the field of continuity planning in a higher education setting is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills to organize, prioritize and manage the successful completion of projects within time and budget constraints.
- Demonstrated knowledge and work experience in the fields of continuity planning and disaster management.
- Familiarity with the organizational culture & administrative practices of higher education.
- Political acumen, plus demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, to communicate in comfortable and persuasive fashion, with the broad constituency of higher education (top campus leaders, deans, chairs, faculty, senior administrators, department managers, etc.)
- Strong presentation skills to give engaging, persuasive, and effective presentations to large and small audiences.
- Ability to project competence and credibility in all interactions, including interactions with faculty on issues that relate to teaching and research.
- Listening skills.
- Team leadership and group facilitation skills.
- Project management skills.
- Strong process analysis skills. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills. Strong skills in analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of data for preparing sound and relevant proposals.
- Ability to partner with others to develop creative solutions and new ways of doing business.
- Ability to convey, in layman's terms, the utility of available campus Information Technologies (IT) for bolstering unit data storage and access, and application hosting, in terms of continuity and recovery.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other common computer applications. Database skills (understanding of database structure, ability to use query tools). Basic web design skills.
- Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
Licenses or certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- CBCP (Certified Business Continuity Professional) certification is preferred but not required. Incumbent will be expected to earn this credential within 2 years of employment if he or she does not possess it.
- Master's degree is highly desirable, plus substantial work experience in a relevant field. Relevant fields include (but are not limited to) business continuity planning, business administration, disaster preparedness, emergency management, higher education management, organizational development, education, planning, operations analysis, public administration. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
- Familiarity with the organizational structure, functions and processes of the Berkeley campus.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=11257&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |