Cloud Team Lead (0521U) 10921
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
- Directs, analyzes, designs and implements the most complex server configurations and solutions.
- Directs, initiates, proposes and implements system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Independently manages centralized computer servers and makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new computer hardware.
- Performs the most complex and advanced analysis techniques to analyze, acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, databases, utilities and Internet/intranet-related tools. Proactively manage over 3000 campus-wide, mission critical and departmental virtual machines, on a number of different VMWare clusters, which underlie such diverse applications as the Enterprise Datawarehouse, Peoplesoft Campus Solutions (Student Information System) and Financials.
- Conducts the most complex systems programming and systems support activities. Implement automation in terms of systems and/or cloud management.
- Performs the most complex and advanced analysis techniques to plan, design and implement networked systems.
- Implements the most complex security controls to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information.
- Defines and administers security policies to control access to systems. Work with the Campus Information Security and Policy team to develop and maintain complex security controls across all cloud environments.
- Provides technical direction and expertise for a team of systems/infrastructure professionals. (Leads the VMWare / Cloud team)
- Supervises a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
- Hands-on experience with VMWare 5.5 or higher.
- Hands-on experience with public cloud solutions (AWS preferred, with GCP and Azure as alternatives)
- Ability to articulate a vision as to where a hybrid cloud architecture is going within industry, and craft a plan that will apply these constructs to a decentralized, higher education type of environment found on the UC Berkeley campus.
- Experience with a Cloud Management Platform
- Ability to cultivate vendor interaction with regards to a number of different technology solutions.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization; requiring frequent interface with senior members of the administration on matters of significance.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of employees
- Can identify complex problems and related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Working knowledge of Red Hat Linux
- Has experience with Terraform and Packer
- Experience with hardware administration with Dell OME and/or HP iLO for firmware updates, patches, etc.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities needed to determine how the systems and technology function should operate most efficiently and how changes to technology systems will affect outcomes, operations, and business goals.
- Demonstrates great customer service skills, and the patience and perseverance to work with a variety of different customers.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10921&PostingSeq=1