Lab Tech (9602C) 2373 - 2373
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 7, 2019.
The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) is one of four Governor Gray Davis Institutes for Science and Innovation established in 2000 to ensure the future of the California economy by promoting research and innovation. QB3 is a cooperative effort between the state of California, private industry, venture capital, and the University of California campuses at Berkeley, San Francisco, and Santa Cruz.
QB3 harnesses the quantitative sciences of physics and engineering to unify our understanding of biological systems at all levels of complexity, from atoms and molecules to cells, tissues, and entire living organisms. QB3 scientists make discoveries that drive the development of technologies, products, and wholly new industries, ensuring that California remains competitive in the 21st century.
QB3's goals are to fuel the California bioeconomy; to support research and training in quantitative biosciences; and to translate academic research into products and services that benefit society.
The lab assistant will assist with research under the guidance of a supervisor and will provide support for mCAFE research activities as well as carry out independent experiments.
The assistant's work will facilitate the editing of previously intractable microorganisms. The recipient of this position will become a member of a research team conducting microbiology, molecular biology, and high-throughput DNA and RNA sequencing experiments. S/he will:
- Follow protocols to obtain high-quality research data, and customize protocols as required to accomplish research goals in discussion with a research mentor.
- Prepare sequencing libraries using customized approaches for DNA and RNA sequencing
- Maintain diverse cultures of microbial isolates as well as communities of microorganisms.
- Conduct several types of cloning and introduce constructs to diverse bacterial strains through multiple delivery approaches.
- Collect research results in a clear, organized manner, and effectively communicate results with research team.
- Work closely with a research team, including daily communication including receiving and offering input; collaborative decision-making; and research interpretation.
- The assistant will also provide support to the lab, including obtaining reagents, preparing samples, and organizing data. S/he will further assist with more complex experiments under the guidance of a supervisor.
- Generating reagents for biochemical and molecular biology assays, performing independent experiments as part of larger projects
- Assisting with complex lab experiments
- Processing Data
- Organizing and storing laboratory equipment
- Scheduling dates for experiments
- Strong organizational skills.
- Molecular biology experience.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in troubleshooting/developing approaches.
- Good attention to detail.
- Experience with DNA and/or RNA library preparation for Illumina sequencing.
- Experience working with microbial cultures.
- Experience with cloning and diverse molecular biology techniques.
- Ability to keep a detailed record of experiments and results.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2373&PostingSeq=1