Financial Analyst 3 (7709U) -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 26, 2019
For full consideration please submit application materials by July 31, 2019
The Division of Student Affairs at UC Berkeley is the gateway to all aspects of the student experience. From recruiting and enrolling; to feeding and housing; to leadership and development opportunities we put Berkeley's students first. We pride ourselves on our culture of care and the services we provide to students throughout their university journey. Our commitment to access, service, and engagement is helping to shape the lives of tomorrow's leaders. To learn more about the culture of UC Berkeley Student Affairs, please visit https://sa.berkeley.edu/gobig/staff
For more information about the Division, please visit http://sa.berkeley.edu/we-arestudent-affairs
Finance Departmental Overview
The mission of Student Affairs Finance is to provide accurate and timely analysis and support that clients can trust. Our value added services are forged through strategic partnerships that empower our clients in their decision making to enhance the student experience. Student Affairs has an opening for a Financial Analyst III. The incumbent will be a member of the Finance team and will be instrumental in the continued success of the finance organization and finance model for Student Affairs.
We are looking for staff who embody our aspirational culture to create a great workplace where staff trust the people they work with, take pride in what they do, and feel a sense of community in support of the student experience.
- Applies professional concepts to perform moderate to complex analysis to understand past performance and determine present and future performance and/or resource allocations.
- Provides analytical support for complex budget, financial, or resource analysis projects.
- Provides department support in the areas of business process analysis and design, system or procedure testing and implementation, documentation, security, workflow, and customer feedback.
- Coordinates and implements department budget allocations, conceives of and maintains department chart of accounts or other data management tools, and related business processes.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes recommendations for financial and/or resource plans, including annual resource allocation approaches, profit and loss statements, ROI analysis, trended future requirements, operating forecasts, sources and uses, et cetera.
- Performs complex financial or resource research and studies for a variety of internal department constituents.
- Examples include generating, modifying, and conceiving of new financial or other resource reports, or analyzing and forecasting staff/faculty salary budgets, contracts, grants, gifts, endowments, or user fees.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting or equivalent practical work experience/training.
- Experience in financial planning and analysis: revenue, headcount, operating expenses, capital
- Experience with annual financial planning, forecasting, and monthly close processes
- Experience in reporting financial results and track record of quickly building new strategic reports from scratch with limited oversight.
- Experience identifying relevant insights and compiling analytical data on key financial trends to make forward thinking forecasts.
- Highly analytical, detail oriented, and strong business sense; proven ability to manage new ideas and creative solutions
- Proven skills to effectively manage multiple important and competing priorities, quickly evaluate complex issues, identify and communicate multiple options for resolution.
- Established knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems.
- An understanding of accounting principles and a general knowledge of government regulations related to Finance.
- Must have excellent computer skills with advanced proficiency in using Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications to compile statistical data and create reports.
- Experience in building custom reporting solutions, ideally related to revenue or cost cutting measures.
- Demonstrated ability to draft fiscal policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Strong political acumen.
- BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, Business or related and/or equivalent experience/training required.
- 3-5 years of direct, progress growth in financial planning and analysis experience required
Salary & Benefits
- Experience in cost control processes, accounting, finance
- Experience with revenue recognition, capital project proposals & planning, ROI analysis, business planning, long range planning
- Advanced degree (MBA), formal education or equivalent experience in finance preferred.
- Though not required, financial business partner experience supporting a hospitality management enterprise, or financial business partner support of a higher education room and board organization could be a plus to someone in this role
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range $80,000-$91,600
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27034&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1