This position will remain open until filled. The first review of applications will take place by May 20, 2019.
About Orange Coast College
Orange Coast College's 164-acre campus is located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California's beautiful beaches. Founded in 1947, with classes beginning in 1948, OCC has grown into one of the nation's largest -- and finest -- community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. OCC's has an unwavering commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. OCC currently enrolls around 22,281 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations. OCC engages in a variety of professional development opportunities and partnerships so that we can serve disproportionately impacted groups.
Plans, manages, and coordinates the activities and operations of the maintenance department. Coordinates and monitors assigned activities with other organization units, faculty and staff, outside facility user, and contractors.
Distinguishing Career Features:
The Manager, Maintenance and Operations is a first-line management position responsible for the efficient and effective performance of custodial, grounds, and maintenance. The manager also monitors construction and repair projects occurring during afternoon and evening hours ranging from plumbing systems, electrical, painting and structures, masonry, signage, and air handling. The Manager applies a blending of knowledge of construction trades, and building and infrastructure maintenance blended with administrative and instructional support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, organizes, and manages and evaluates the work of assigned maintenance staff. Reinforces departmental standards and work plans, prioritizes, assigns, and reviews the work of staff responsible for providing construction, maintenance, repair, landscape and grounds, and energy management of district buildings, and structures.
* Coordinates day-to-day organization, staffing, work assignments, and operational activities for maintenance services and projects including construction, repair, landscape and grounds maintenance, and operation of utilities, heating and cooling systems, and energy management.
* Reviews and approved work orders and scope of work for in-house projects and contract work. Creates material and equipment specifications and manuals, estimates costs for labor and materials, and schedules and sequences work and/or works with outside contractors/consultants.
* Works with the college constituency and departmental support staff to develop efficient and non-disruptive approaches for conducting construction and maintenance tasks.
* Serves as the first point of contact for matters ranging from urgent needs, and assistance to get access to facilities and special services.
* Assists in the development of, and administers approved budgets for maintenance. Oversees and processes expenses, ensuring proper use of labor and materials. Reviews, processes, and submits departmental payroll, maintaining strict District deadlines.
* Coordinates maintenance operations with those of other divisions and outside vendors and contractors. Provides staff assistance to the Director. Prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
* Inspects and evaluates the condition of facilities, parking lots, and roadways, assuring compliance with uniform building codes, and regulations. Inspects the condition of machinery and equipment and recommends repairs or upgrades to the Director.
* Conducts and/or arranges for on-the-job training for maintenance staff in technical aspects of work, safety, and emergency protocols and procedures.
* Plans, schedules, and supervises preventive maintenance activities performed during the assigned shift.
* Stands in for the Director as needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.