The cardiology service provides care to dogs, cats, exotic pets and some horses with heart disease. In addition, this service creates a positive learning experience for Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University students and house staff in regard to the specialty of Cardiology. The service typically runs from 8:00 am to 6:30 pm Monday-Friday, although some emergency duties may be required.
What You'll Do
This position qualifies for a $2,000 sign on bonus following successful completion of 6 months of employment for newly hired employees.
The Cardiology Veterinary Technician works with the cardiology service (cardiologists, residents, interns and veterinary students) as part of an integrated clinical care team to provide high quality cardiovascular diagnostics and care to inpatient, outpatient, surgical and emergency patients. The technician will become familiar with all aspects of the cardiology service and assisting with cardiac catherization procedures. During exceptional times, the cardiology technician may be required to work in a variety of other specialty areas (i.e. neurology, ophthalmology, internal medicine etc.) or inpatient wards under the daily direction of the hospital administration or designee in order to assure optimal patient care. In time, with additional training and guidance the cardiology veterinary technician will be able to see their own technician appointments which could include performing fluid checks, facilitating chest radiographs, obtaining blood for laboratory testing, performing ECGs and coordinating abdominal ultrasound appointments through diagnostic imaging. If the candidate wishes to pursue a specialization in cardiology and once all other job goals/skills are mastered, performing echocardiograms could become part of the job responsibilities.
What We're Looking For
- Associate degree in Veterinary Technology or a high school diploma (or the equivalent) with at least three years of related experience
- Understanding of medical terminology and familiarity with basic diagnostic testing in veterinary cardiology including electrocardiography and measurement of blood pressure.
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities for several patients within a busy clinical setting.
- Technical abilities such as patient restraint, venipuncture (including cephalic and jugular), monitoring and treating patients, blood pressure measurement, ECG monitoring and maintaining supplies and inventory for the Cardiology service. Willingness to learn new skills to assist with cardiac catheterization, pacemaker and other cardiovascular procedures.
- Ability to effectively work as a member of a diverse team.
- Basic computer skills including the ability to learn and maintain electronic medical record system and a willingness to learn vocabulary used in specialty medicine. Experience with an electronic medical record system is a plus.
- Comfort communicating with clients about test results, appointment scheduling, medications, or changes in an animal's clinical condition. Good communication skills to provide great customer service when dealing with clients.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Technology with two or more years of clinical experience
- Credentialed as a Certified Veterinary Technician or has the potential to become a Certified Veterinary Technician within one year.
- Candidates with a goal to become a Veterinary Technician Specialist in cardiology will be given preference.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- The schedule for this position may include providing University and calendar holiday coverage on a rotating basis.
- The schedule for this position may include evening and weekend hours.
- The schedule for this position requires flexibility to ensure that adequate patient care is provided without interruption or exception.
- This position is considered essential and is therefore required to report to work as scheduled during emergency closings (i.e. during snow storms or other inclement weather).
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity