TEMPORARY Help Desk Technician
Madera Community College, CA
MCC Technology Services
Under general supervision, assists in the administration and maintenance of computer equipment and resources in computer labs, classrooms and offices; provides orientation, instructional assistance and first- level technical support to lab students and faculty, referring more complex problems to appropriate technical staff; assists with equipment inventory, installations, upgrades and minor maintenance; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Provides basic and routine technical support assistance to students, staff and faculty by incoming calls, walk ins and e-mails from a centralized location; identifies first-level technical support problems and performs basic troubleshooting to determine appropriate corrective actions.
- Obtains accurate and complete information from students, staff and faculty in person or by telephone to identify their needs and problems and develops responses and solutions for password and basic connectivity issues on District websites, Canvas, Web Advisor, student email, student services and wireless networks; initiates work tickets to refer more difficult and complex issues to other IT staff for troubleshooting and resolution.
- Assists students and faculty on technology utilization in labs; prepares flyers, charts and graphic materials for training; ensures faculty and students have access and are aware of available technologies for their use and how to use them.
- Maintains computer lab inventory by receiving and tracking equipment utilizing established inventory database systems.
- Performs basic printer maintenance and repair.
- Assists customer support staff with equipment deployment functions including computer and laptop installations, software upgrades and imaging.
- Assists with equipment testing, cleanup and maintenance at the end of each semester.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically minoritized groups and participates in professional development activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded practices within the District.
- Attends and participates in various staff and committee meetings.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of computer hardware, software, applications and related peripherals.
- Basic computer troubleshooting methods and techniques.
- Various computer systems and operating environments used throughout the college.
- Instructional technologies used by colleges.
- Training concepts and techniques as they apply to areas of responsibility.
- District IT procurement policies and practices.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Data and voice communications concepts.
- Provide day-to-day technical support for computer hardware, peripherals and software.
- Assist students and faculty in the use of instructional technologies.
- Create and maintain detailed, accurate records.
- Assist customer support staff with equipment deployment functions.
- Maintain computer and related equipment inventories.
- Utilize a variety of software programs and media equipment.
- Organize and maintain a variety of records and files.
- Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive service-oriented practices.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Operate a computer and use standard business software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
An associate degree in computer science, information systems or a related field, or relevant industry certification, and at least one year of responsible experience in providing computer support to end users; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms.?Employees are frequently required to walk or stand; may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work;
work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work with frequent interruptions; work under intensive deadlines; and interact with District managers, staff, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees work in typical office conditions, and the noise level is usually quiet.
The employee may be required to travel to locations other than assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and requirements to work overtime.
Only the most qualified applicants will be invited to interview for the assignment.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd/jobs/3195239/temporary-help-desk-technician