About Orange Coast College (OCC)
Orange Coast College's 164-acre campus is located in Costa Mesa just minutes from Southern California's beautiful beaches. Founded in 1947, with classes beginning in 1948, OCC has grown into one of the nation's largest -- and finest -- community colleges, enrolling more than 25,000 students each semester. OCC's has an unwavering commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and rich racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African- American, 23% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 31% are White, and 6% are multiracial. OCC engages in a variety of professional development opportunities and partnerships so that we can serve disproportionately impacted groups. Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Performs general labor and semi-skilled building maintenance work. Assists senior-level maintenance specialists in the performance of skilled maintenance work in the various construction and mechanical systems trades.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Maintenance Specialist I represents the first level position requiring generalized experience in building maintenance, grounds, or advanced custodial work. Advancement to Maintenance Specialist II is possible with specialized training in one of the advanced trades combined with additional experience at the journey level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Performs servicing and maintenance to fixtures. Makes plumbing adjustments such as unclogging toilets and sinks, tightening toilet seats, adjusting of drinking fountains, cleaning water jets to enhance flows.
* Performs painting and varnishing of walls, doors, rooms, buildings, parking lots, and other surfaces. Prepares and finishes surfaces by scraping, using commercial paint removers, fills cracks and holes or sizing plaster walls.
* Applies paint, varnish, and other protective and decorative finishes to comply with applicable building codes, District standards for each campus, and the usage or exposure of the surfaces.
* Constructs, fabricates, assembles, installs, repairs or replaces doors, walls, signs, desks, counters, shelves, shelf units, benches, bleachers, forms, frames, window frames, fences and stairways. Assists in the construction and remodel of temporary and permanent buildings and structures.
* Assembles, adjusts, and repairs furniture. Moves furniture and stage platforms including those used for special events and activities. May assist in setting up public address systems for events.
* Performs, repairs, and conducts maintenance on projects such as walkways, athletic field equipment, and classroom equipment.
* Glazes and fits windows. Installs glass and other glazing materials using points, clips, bolts, putty or other affixing and sealing devices. Prepares frames and surfaces for installation or replacement.
* Participates with and assists in skilled trades areas of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and other crafts as assigned.
* Operates and performs minor maintenance of light equipment including light tractors, skip loaders, forklift and other labor saving devices.
* Assists in the installation and maintenance of roofs, baseboards, furniture, cabinets, shelving, bookcases and bulletin boards at a school site.
* Installs, repairs and maintains floor tile, acoustical tile, linoleum and carpet.
* Performs routine servicing on air-conditioning and heating systems. Changes filters. Greases and oils bearings, motors, and compressors.
* May participate in setting up venues for MCOE and member-school district activities as directed.
* May perform maintenance duties of Maintenance Specialist II on an intermittent basis for purposes of training and experience. May perform Custodian duties as required.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.