Faculty Assistant, Professional Faculty Suite (4722C), Haas School of Business 11260
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 6, 2020
UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business offers a unique opportunity to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and continually learn in a workplace committed to increasing diversity and creating a welcoming environment for all.
Our distinctive culture is captured within our four Defining Leadership Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. These principles distinguish Berkeley Haas as a unique environment, conducive to teamwork, collaboration, and career growth.
For more information about the Haas School of Business visit: https://haas.berkeley.edu/about/
Faculty Assistants are an essential part of the Administration unit of the Haas School of Business. The Faculty Assistant role for Professional Faculty coordinates the Haas Professional Faculty Suite designed to provide a customized work environment to meet the needs of our growing number of professional instructors and includes industry leaders. Under minimal supervision from the Faculty Support Unit supervisor, the incumbent is the first point of contact for the administrative needs of the Professional Faculty. He/she provides reception in the suite environment, lecturer support, monitoring of shared office space, DSP exam coordination, light editing, accounting support, project management, and web page updates.
The Professional Faculty Assistant works independently to provide excellent customer service to faculty members, students, and staff at Haas, the campus community, and visitors. Our effective administrative support is based on a collaborative approach in which all team members share information and good practices with the goal to allow students and faculty to do their best work.
SHARED WORK ENVIRONMENT SUPPORT:
- Under minimal supervision, provide a variety of Faculty Support Unit service duties including, but not limited to, the tasks described below:
- Schedule and coordinate the use of a complex shared Professional Faculty Suite with assigned office space and open workstation seating.
- Provide reception, welcoming and orienting services to new instructors.
- Maintaining a current list of professional faculty using shared space for each semester, and communicating with Haas service providers to revise and adapt space use guidelines.
- Contribute to developing an ongoing space usage improvement effort shared by Haas service providers.
FINANCE AND PURCHASING SUPPORT:
- Submit complete and organized information/required documentation to the campus business service unit to ensure timely and accurate processing of purchases, payments and reimbursements.
- Acts as a liaison between faculty and Berkeley Regional Services (BRS).
- Create purchase orders for independent contractors and vendors.
- Track paperwork submitted for individual faculty for travel and entertainment reimbursements.
- Manage purchase and payment requests with Haas business services and BRS.
- Comply with current purchasing and reimbursement policy as governed by the UC Office of the President.
- Reconcile purchases made on Blu Card and maintain compliance as required by the University Blu card program.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND PLANNING SUPPORT:
- Serve as the first point of contact for professional faculty, students, and staff regarding operations and academic support information.
- Provide information for guest speakers, visitors, and students by obtaining and providing parking passes and other assistance as requested.
- Provide word processing, copy writing, editing, proofreading for but not limited to, research papers, manuscripts, correspondence, letters of recommendation, PowerPoint presentations, and course materials.
- Update and maintain online calendars.
- Navigate faculty through Haas and UC policies and procedures to reach academic goals.
- Reserve meeting space, order catering and secure AV reservations for various faculty events.
- Secure restaurant, transportation, hotel and airline reservations.
- Order office supplies and equipment/furniture as requested.
- Provide mail, fax, FedEx, UPS and courier services as requested.
- Submit requests for IT or Facilities services as requested.
- Order journal subscriptions, membership renewals, software, books, research and instructional materials (other than textbooks), etc.
- Serve as a proxy for updating publishing information on APBears for faculty.
- Update and maintain web pages
- Complete special projects and other administrative duties as assigned/requested by.
- The professional faculty assistant will work closely with the Facilities office and Haas Academic Affairs, during periods of professional faculty arrival and departure. Duties include:
- Design and send welcome emails to professional faculty starting or returning to Haas.
- Provide professional faculty with information during their initial orientation to Haas, and customize/update a service provider document that explains all of the necessary tasks related to starting the semester.
- Provide faculty merit/promotion support under the direction of the Academic Affairs Unit.
- Create, disburse and/or post questionnaires, surveys, flyers, posters, door cards and nametags.
- Assist with instructional services.
- Materials prep for faculty.
- Scheduling space for DSP exams.
- Maintain confidentiality and security of student records by following confidentiality rules established by FERPA, the state of California and the
- Work on special programs as assigned.
- Attend classes that will enhance expertise in job areas.
- Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate.
- Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further university service.
- Maintain knowledge of the Faculty Support Unit's business processes in order to provide back up to other support staff in the unit.
- Experience with providing administrative support to a group of 8 - 12 faculty or managers (from an accredited degree granting university/college) or similar environment.
- Experience and skill in providing high level, front facing customer service as well as managing a high volume of incoming email requests or inquiries from faculty, students, staff and external partners.
- Strong attention to detail while managing shifting priorities, with frequent interruptions while keeping a positive and professional attitude through changes.
- Expertise in maintaining confidentiality and security, especially with student records.
- Can quickly learn, understand and demonstrate skill in following confidentiality rules established by FERPA, the state of California and the university.
- Excellent and accurate record keeping and organizational skills.
- Experience with scheduling for individuals as well as groups.
- Demonstrates excellent and professional writing, editing, and verbal communication skills when communicating to a diverse group.
- Learns and adapts to new business processes, online systems and software tools/technology on a frequent basis.
- Demonstrates intermediate-to-advanced skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Takes initiative and shows the capacity to be proactive, use keen judgement and analytical skills when problem solving and utilizing resources for clarification and/or instruction.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating self-awareness, and the ability to relate to diverse groups in a team environment and one-on-one.
- Demonstrates understanding and cultivates/promotes diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrates a willingness to embody and foster the Defining Leadership Principles of Haas.
- Some knowledge of or can quickly learn UC Berkeley's Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BearBuy, Travel and Entertainment (T and E), and Connexxus.
- Awareness of critical academic/administrative deadlines.
Salary & Benefits
This is a non-exempt, biweekly paid position. Hourly pay will be commensurate with experience within the Union negotiated rates up to $28.54/Step 7.0.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=11260&PostingSeq=1
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency