Research Data Analyst 3 (6257U) - 9325
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 11, 2020
The Center for Community Innovation's (CCI) mission is to nurture effective solutions that expand economic opportunity, diversify housing options, and strengthen connection to place. CCI works toward more equitable, resilient futures for communities. We conduct community-engaged research and urban data analytics to understand the problems and identify solutions around pressing housing, land use, and urban sustainability issues. The Center for Community Innovation is housed at the Institute of Governmental Studies, which promotes research, educational activities, and public service in the areas of American and California politics and broad domains of public policy.
- Plans studies, including the preparation of proposals, design of survey instruments and analysis methods.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes the collection of information and data; recommends statistical approaches, trends, sources and uses.
- Prepares data for presentation.
- Conducts independent research and develop policy development papers and briefs with limited oversight.
- Manages and supports small student research team in conducting major research projects, including literature reviews, data collection, data analysis, and reporting on findings.
- Leads and manages external research partnerships, including working with senior staff to establish new research collaborations.
- Designs, organizes, and manages database of research data for projects.
- Translates academic research into policy briefs and other materials intended for nonacademic audiences.
- Collaborates to generate funding for research projects, and assist with developing grant proposals and other development efforts.
- Supervises data entry, database management and research analysis of students, support staff and / or lower level analysts.
- Thorough skills in analysis and consultation.
- Skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
- Skills in project management.
- Strong writing and communication skills and ability to present quantitative findings.
- Experience with housing and community development primary data collection and secondary data analysis.
- Ability to manipulate and analyze large datasets in Stata, Python and/or R, and map in ArcMap, ArcGISOnline, Leaflet and/or Carto.
- Master's degree in City and Regional Planning, Public Policy, or related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- 2+ years of work experience in housing or urban planning or experience/training.
Research skills at a level to evaluate alternate solutions and develop recommendations.
Knowledge of federal, state, and municipal community development and housing programs or land use regulations.
Strong organizational, analytical, project management, facilitation and teamwork abilities.
Able to multi-task easily and efficiently
Able to prioritize tasks and work independently.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $75,400.00 - $80,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 1 year Contract Appointment, with an end date.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=9325&PostingSeq=1