Personal Trainer (4128U) 20433
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Enhancing the health and wellness of our Cal community is a big job. Rec Sports is dedicated to providing an ongoing variety of educational, fitness, and wellness opportunities to support a healthy lifestyle. We offer classes and facilities to support our students, faculty, and staff in both their personal growth and physical fitness goals.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/15/2021
Provides instructional guidance and program activities related to health and fitness in an accredited environment; provides first aid and emergency care as necessary, and responds to user/customer needs
Educates the participants on fitness and health-related topics; conducts fitness assessments and personal training sessions, maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, designs and implements individual workout programs, demonstrates and coaches clients on the proper use of cardiovascular and strength equipment; discusses health and fitness goal setting; promotes safe technique and form when training.
- Provides advanced or specialized activity instruction to program participants, individually or in groups.Trainers provide sessions at the RSF, other campus locations, or virtually through live-streamed and on-demand content. Trainers are expected to appropriately program/periodize the following types of training: strength, cardiovascular, flexibility, balance, speed/agility/quickness, plyometrics and core training. Trainers will work with students, faculty/staff and community members and will need to program the correct modifications for their clients and appropriate progressions and regressions of exercises. Trainers must be able to work in a busy environment and adapt workout routines from available equipment and resources.
- Maintains a welcoming and supportive environment for program participants and facilitates participation. Trainers conduct energizing, fun, safe sessions for all fitness levels and encourage and motivate their clients. Answers questions from participants to support them in achieving their healthy living and wellness goals. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members, facilitates others to connect with one another, and to the Berkeley Rec Sports community.
- Interacts with recreational program participants in a positive and professional manner. Responsible for ensuring that fitness spaces provide a safe environment including the condition and proper storage of all equipment used during training sessions. Instruct clients on correct equipment usage and body mechanics.
- Updates availability in Mindbody scheduling software system. providing weekly availability for clients to schedule appointments. Tracks client progress and personal administrative records (time keeping, internal communications, client records, etc).
- Maintains required professionals certifications including CRR/AED. Keeps current on teaching methods, techniques and skills through continuing education. Participates in required professional development activities.
- Previous experience with instruction of fitness and recreation programs.
- Previous experience working with age level specific to an activity.
- Requires active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, multi-task and time management skills.
- Service orientation, program management, sound judgment and decision-making, critical thinking, develop original ideas, creative problem solving skills in a varied and challenging environment
- Must be able to work effectively, across all organization levels, internally and externally.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Client service minded entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinking.
- Basic Computer Knowledge.
Licenses or certifications:
- Current certification with one of the following organizations: NASM-CPT, ACSM-CPT, NSCA-CPT, or ACE-CPT
- Red Cross CPR with AED - required
- Standard First Aid Training Certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. This position is not eligible for UC benefits plan.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
1-year Contract appointment with possibility of renewal on an annual basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=20433&PostingSeq=1