Materials Prep Assistant Manager (4157U), Lawrence Hall of Science - 2228 - 2228
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 5, 2019
Welcome to UC Berkeley's Lawrence Hall of Science, the country's only science center that is part of a top-tier, public research university. This distinctive affiliation allows the Hall to partner with world-class scientists, engineers, educational leaders, and teachers, with the goal of developing and disseminating the most innovative and effective science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs available today. Our mission is to inspire and foster science learning for allespecially for those with limited access to science.
- Prepares, sets-up, and cleans-up materials, supplies, and equipment for educational science programs for children, according to instructions from education department staff.
- Maintains general organization and cleanliness of Prep Hub areas.
- Assists with monitoring inventory of supplies, which will include lifting and carrying heavy boxes (up to 50lbs).
- Assists with mentoring and coaching UC Berkeley student employees of the Prep Hub.
- Provides excellent customer service to educational staff and other employees who submit materials requests to the Prep Hub.
- Applies basic organizational and problem solving skills, and works collaboratively with other Prep Hub staff, to help ensure the Prep Hub functions smoothly.
- Learns how to perform all Prep Hub management functions, and is able to step in and manage all Prep Hub operations whenever the Prep Hub Manager is unavailable.
- Other duties as assigned
- Careful attention to detail, and ability to carry out complex instructions quickly and accurately.
- Organizational skills.
- Time management, and ability to manage multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Skills in verbal and written communication in the English language, including active listening, collaboration, asking clarifying questions, and giving clear instructions.
- Critical thinking and problem solving.
- Intermediate computer applications skills, including familiarity with Word, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Sheets.
- Skills and experience in providing excellent customer service.
- Physical ability to lift and carry heavy boxes (up to 50lbs).
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience delivering, managing, or preparing supplies for educational programs, particularly informal science programs.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $18.39 - $26.10.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
- This is a 50% time (20 hours/week), 12-month, temporary (contract) position. Contracts are renewable up to four years. This position is eligible for full benefits, including but not limited to, health insurance, vacation accrual, and sick leave accrual. For more information about eligibility, please visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/eligibility/index.html
- The work schedule for this role will be weekdays (no or very limited weekends/holidays), with specific hours to be determined with the supervisor.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2228&PostingSeq=1