Search for University Jobs in Staff & Non-Managerial Professionals
Academic Personnel/Human Resources Manager (7715U) - Dept of Statistics
University of California, Berkeley
Academic Personnel/Human Resources Manager (7715U) - Dept of Statistics
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The Department of Statistics is recognized as one of the two preeminent centers for Probability and Statistics in the world. The department places a strong emphasis on research through partnerships working with institutions and industry partners including; LBNL (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab), the Sloan Institute, the Simons Institute, the Berkeley Institute for Data Science, Google, Microsoft, Citadel, State Street, Genentech and departments such as; Bioengineering, Biostatistics, Economics, EECS (Electrical Engineering & Computer Science), Demography, IB (Integrative Biology), MCB (Molecular & Cell Biology), and Physics. The department is comprised of 46 active faculty and emeritus faculty, 130 graduate students, 300 undergraduate students, and eleven career staff. The faculty have a dizzying array of honors and awards including The National Medal of Science, the COPSS award (the Statistics Nobel'), and 6 members of the National Academy of Science. The department is highly attractive to Visiting Faculty, Visiting Scholars, Postdoctoral Scholars and students from around the world.
The Academic Personnel and Human Resources Manager (AP/HR Manager) is responsible for one of the four functional administrative units in the Department of Statistics, Academic Personnel & Human Resources. This functional unit involves activities in academic personnel, human resources, as well as academic support services including executive assistance to the Chair. The AP/HR Manager plays a major role in developing, planning, and managing academic personnel and HR administrative functions in the Department. Ensures academic personnel, human resources, and academic support services, strategies, and activities are integrated with the research and teaching mission. The role of the Academic Personnel and HR Manager as the lead of a functional administrative unit in the department also serves as a member of the Department Administrative Leadership Team. The AP/HR Manager position necessitates strong skills of diplomacy, discretion, good judgment, collaboration, initiative, and professionalism in regards to all AP/HR processes and when interfacing with faculty, students, visitors and colleagues within and outside the department. The AP/HR Manager reports to the Director of Administration and has a dotted line report to the Department Chair. This position directly supervises the HR Coordinator position in Statistics (1.0 FTE).
The Academic Personnel and HR Manager serves as the Academic Personnel and HR expert for the Statistics Department by recommending, developing, implementing, administering, coordinating, and evaluating academic and general Human Resources policies, labor contracts, statutes, programs, and procedures covering academic recruitment, appointment, advancement, compensation and salary administration, faculty welfare programs, visas, faculty misconduct, and faculty equity as well as overseeing/supervising the HR staff who are directly responsible for coordinating visiting academic appointments, non-tenure academic appointments, and student and staff human resources needs of the department. Direct duties include, but are not limited to overseeing departmental tenure reviews, merit and promotion reviews, recalls, and all academic recruitments and retentions. The AP/HR Manager is responsible for drafting department recommendations, search reports, search plans and other academic personnel materials for Department and Search Chairs. This position also researches and analyzes existing and proposed University, College, and departmental academic personnel policies and procedures for their potential impact on the department, and provides Department Chair, Director of Administration, and department faculty with interpretation of academic policies and procedures affecting academic personnel actions.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 5, 2023 - Open Until Filled
30% Management of Academic Personnel and Human Resources:
The AP/HR Manager oversees one of the four administrative functional units in the Department of Statistics, Academic Personnel and Human Resources (AP/HR). This administrative functional unit also includes overseeing academic support services for the Department Chair and Deputy Chair.
- Oversight of academic personnel and human resources including functional responsibility of Senate academic human resources, and supervision of general human resources, including liaison to ERSO regional staff. Serves as academic and human resources policy and process expert within the department.
- Designs and implements AP/HR business processes and creates administrative standards for AP/HR operations, ensuring that policies are implemented consistently through the Department. Ensures efficiency in AP/HR business practices, procedures, workflow, standardization, reporting needs, records management.
- Provides academic support services such as development scheduling faculty meetings and working on faculty retreats. Manages faculty meeting notes, and integrates decisions with administrative priorities and plans when requested. Maintains historical records of department AP/HR policies, faculty teaching assignments, service and mentoring assignments, and serves as a partner to the Department Chair and Director of Administration on APR-related short- and long-term department goals such as faculty 5-year strategic hiring plans.
- As a policy expert, provides strategic advice and counsel to the Department Chair, Deputy Chair, Director of Administration, other department supervisors, faculty and staff, on the full array of human resources issues including labor relations, employee relations, academic recruiting, position development, compensation, benefits questions, medical concerns, work-eligibility matters (including visa policies and processes), and sabbaticals and other leaves.
- The AP/HR Manager directly supervises HR Generalist 3 (1.0 FTE). Provides all training, development, and performance management of the HR Generalist 3 position. Ensures work performed by this position is accurate and timely.
- As a functional unit manager, this position is a member of the Statistics Department Leadership Team along with the Director of Administration, SCF Director, Student Services Director, and Front Officer Manager.
25% Academic Recruitment and Appointment:
Oversees and administers all phases of the senate and non-senate recruitment and appointment process as required by campus guidelines.
- Works closely with the department Search Committee members and the Department Chair to guide them through the process for selection and appointment, including soliciting materials and feedback, preparing drafts of reports, submitting and tracking all necessary letters and reports, including the search plan and search report, after reviewing final versions for accuracy and compliance with campus guidelines.
- Provides department with cost estimates for advertising, prepares recruitment ads, and submits advertisements on-line for all available positions.
- Coordinates correspondence to and from outside parties and reviewers regarding new recruitment.
- Manages recruitment in the master database (APRecruit) for all recruitments, applicants and affirmative action reporting.
- Prepares, reviews, and submits appointment cases and ensures that information concerning the outcome of recruitment cases is processed in a timely manner. Works closely with Dean's Office staff through approval processes related to recruitment and appointment process.
- Primary contact for onboarding new faculty members to ensure a smooth transition to the university including developing and sending onboarding materials, providing advice regarding benefits, housing, relocation, and other needs.
25% Academic Reviews:
Oversees and administers the academic case review process for all ladder-rank, adjunct and Unit 18 lecturers, including serving as a policy and process expert to members of the department.
- In partnership and consultation with the Department Chair and Dean's AP Analyst, determines the department's annual academic personnel case action list. Develops a case schedule and plan for coming year, including determining submission time lines that reconcile with Dean's Office and APO deadlines for that year. Reconciles the action list with the Dean's Office list. Drafts notification letter templates, ensuring that information included includes up-to-date campus policies and guidelines.
- Assists faculty in preparing merit and promotion materials for cases, including writing drafts of department recommendations. Advises and assists ad hoc committee members and Department Chair during the review process. Reviews case documents for accuracy and compliance with campus and college policies. Draft AP memos and letters as needed. Assures that cases have been prepared in accordance with relevant policies, that they are complete, and that all information is accurate. Ensures timely completion of required actions.
10% Non-senate and Staff Human Resources:
Oversees and manages the following non-senate AP and HR functions that are predominantly handled by the HR Coordinator.
- All postdoctoral, visiting faculty, visiting student researcher, visiting scholar and volunteer recruitments, appointments and other actions.
- ASE and other student title appointments and other actions (funding, position management, etc.)
- Staff recruitments and reclassifications.
- Questions related to leaves, benefits, retirement, and/or other issues/concerns.
5% Oversees the maintenance of all AP/HR records including sabbatical credits, teaching, service, leaves, etc. Ensures website and mailing lists are updated as employees enter, advance/change roles, and/or leave the department. Keeps records of policies, votes, and faculty meeting minutes among other things.
5% Participates in career and professional development; serves on department, college, and campus committees and needed.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- In depth knowledge of and ability to apply system-wide and campus policies, union bargaining contracts, procedures and practices that govern academic and general human resources administration.
- Knowledge and understanding of campus, college, and department goals, priorities and values and the legal and human implications of decisions.
- Ability to analyze complex management issues, develop project scope and solutions, give professional advice to senior officials and make critical decisions regarding personnel.
- Knowledge of trends in academia, especially in areas of academic planning, human resource management and administration.
- Excellent critical and innovative thinking to address moderately complex issues and present nuanced analyses.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including tact and diplomacy, ability to maintain confidentiality, and ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Excellent writing skills. Experience in drafting business correspondence.
- Strong people management experience and skills.
- Experience and proficiency working with business software such as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite, and with online HR systems.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $77,600 to $109,000 annually. This is a 100% FTE career position eligible for full benefits.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit both your resume and cover letter.
Referral Source Info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source of "UCB Employee". Then enter the employee's Name and Berkeley email address in the Specific Referral Source field. Please enter only one name and email.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=59523&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |